Inventor General

Valued Contributor
divingdoug
Message 1 of 22 (509 Views)

Inventor 2010 - Limit component movement when constraining

509 Views, 21 Replies
02-13-2013 10:41 AM

Why is it that when you create the first constraint between any two components, the secondary component moves not only to satisfy the constraint, but also in ways that have nothing to do with the constraint.   This is not occasional behavior, it happens every time.

I always have to stop and move the secondary component back out of the way to get to the other features I need to reference to continue.

Is there ANY way to change this unnecessary and annoying behavior?  It really slows my work down..

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 2 of 22 (505 Views)

Re: Inventor 2010 - Limit component movement when constraining

02-13-2013 11:05 AM in reply to: divingdoug

Tools>Application options >Defer Update.

Part will not move until you pick "Update"

Valued Contributor
divingdoug
Message 3 of 22 (497 Views)

02-13-2013 11:37 AM in reply to: karthur1

Yea but that stops the movement for aligning the constraint and when I do update, it still performs the other superfluous moves that occur.  And often times, I have found that I have to manuever parts to near what I am looking for as IV will take and perform a major realignment when I apply a constraint.

Some weird algorithms going on there for sure.

I'm figuring the functions are imbedded way to deep in the code to try and affect any changes

Thanks anyway

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 22 (483 Views)

02-13-2013 12:07 PM in reply to: divingdoug

I have not seen any unusual/unexpected behavior.

Can you temporarily ground one of the parts?

Can you attach simple assembly that exhibits unusual/unexpected behavior?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 5 of 22 (478 Views)

02-13-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: divingdoug

divingdoug wrote:

Why is it that when you create the first constraint between any two components, the secondary component moves not only to satisfy the constraint, but also in ways that have nothing to do with the constraint.  

Can you show us a video of this?  Even if the part does move when you place the first constraint, you can still apply other constraints if a surface is in your way.(right click.. Select Other)

Valued Contributor
divingdoug
Message 6 of 22 (473 Views)

02-13-2013 12:19 PM in reply to: karthur1

Will try to capture video and post but may be tomorrow.  Even contraining the first part in an assy provides odd behaviors.  I often do not use the IV default grounded positions becasue of my design intent.

I may not be able to post models due to confidentiality rules we have.

*Pro
ampster
Message 7 of 22 (466 Views)

02-13-2013 12:22 PM in reply to: divingdoug

divingdoug wrote:

I often do not use the IV default grounded positions becasue of my design intent.

That could be the cause of it.  Ground at least one part so when you apply constraints nothing moves except the next part you are adding to the assy.

I can recall redoing assy files a few times because the very first item that was grounded didn't work out to well for design intent and applying constraints.  I always try to find some suitable "base" or first part file to load into an assy now because of that.

Like JD mentioned too, every now and then you'll need to temp ground something in order to work on applying constraints.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 22 (464 Views)

02-13-2013 12:24 PM in reply to: divingdoug

divingdoug wrote:

I often do not use the IV default grounded positions becasue of my design intent.

I suspect that temporarily grounding a component will be the solution.
I have to do this all the time on assemblies with components with lots of motion (remaining degrees of freedom).

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Contributor
divingdoug
Message 9 of 22 (462 Views)

02-13-2013 12:25 PM in reply to: ampster

It will be a little more clear when I can provide visuals.

Valued Contributor
divingdoug
Message 10 of 22 (438 Views)

Re: Inventor 2012 - EXAMPLE SHOWN - Limit component movement when constraining

02-14-2013 05:51 AM in reply to: divingdoug

Here a a really quick example with screen caps.

Pics 1, 2, 3  show the first two parts in assy from different view points.  Larger blue part is grounded. Smaller green part is free.

Constraint-1.png

Constraint-2.png

Constraint-3.png

Pic 4 shows where I make the first selection of a coincident constraint, the axis of the lower barb on the blue part

Constraint-4.png

Pic 5 shows that I have made the second selection with the axis of one of the boss features on the green part and the green part moves to satisfy the coincident constraint and ALSO moves in manner that has nothing to do with the constraint.

Constraint-5.png

Pics 6 and 7 simply show other views of the completed constraint.  The axis of the boss on the green part is indeed aligned with the axis of the barb on the blue part.  The green part had to move in the X and Y axis' (Red and Green axis arrows) to satisfy this constraint.

It did NOT have to move in the Z axis (Blue axis arrow).  This puts the green part in a position I did  not want it in and is absolutely not required to establish the constraint.

To me, this is a bug, as in behavior that is not desired and is contrary to the intent of the command.  This is a simple example but trust me, when it happens EVERY time I use the constrain command, (think assy's with hundreds of components) it is pretty dammed frustrating.

I always have to take te time to move the component back where I want it. And if I am wanting to continue creating constraints, it often thinks I am making a selection for the command and I have to stop and restart the constraint command to clear it up.

Constraint-6.png

Constraint-7.png

Pic 8 shows approximately where the part SHOULD have ended up.  The two axis' are aligned but the green part would be in the same Z position it started in.

Constraint-8.png

One mistake, we are actually on Inventor 2012, not 2010 as I thought.  Though I have been experiencing this behavior since it was mandated by corporate that we use Inventor three years ago.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube