Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor '11 on Mac Mini '10 (Maverick) using Parallel & Windows 8.1

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
danielneuhaus
1193 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor '11 on Mac Mini '10 (Maverick) using Parallel & Windows 8.1

Our son's instructor recommended he get familiar with Inventor before starting college. We suspected our old MacBook Pro would not have enough RAM available, so we purchased a used Mac Mini 2010 with more RAM. First, we loaded Parallels to convert 1/2 our system to a PC. Then we tried to purchase an online dowload of Windows 8.1, but realized the online downloads only worked with PC. So, it was necessary to purchase the Windows disc and load that using Parallel. BUT Mac mini's don't have optic drives any more, so, we purchased an external drive to install Windows 8.1 onto Parallels/PC. No problem, because we figured we would use the external drive to view the "Soon to be Old Fashioned" movie DVD's. Everything installed fine until we tried to load Inventor 2014. Error message. Then we tried to load Inventor 2012, which indicated "2 days 4 hrs 30 min." to load then 10 min later it indicated "9 days 8 hrs 45 min" to load. So we loaded Service Pack Inventor 2012 1 and 2 according to instructions on another forum, and tried to load Inventor 2011. Its finally loading. It is the longest download I've ever seen in my life. We don't have great internet, but after 10 hrs, Inventor is 25% loaded. This is considerable progress after trying to load 2012 & 2014. Should I expect problems with installation?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
blair
in reply to: danielneuhaus

Can't say if it will work or not but you will need all the SP's and Hotfixes for your version of Inventor for it to run on Win8 and Win 8.1 since these O/S have been released long after your version of Inventor. Make sure that you are logged in with Admin priviledges and have the Windows UAC slider set to it's lowest setting.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads#?ADSKContentGroup-local=Downloads&...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14

Thank you, I've been chided by the expert for attempting to install inventor on Windows 8.1 - I guess my initial mistake was interpreting our sons instructor, when he said: "...all you have to do is download inventor ..." as something easy to do. I guess he assumed we owned PC's. Anyway, I've been instructed to install Windowd 7. Luckily, Best Buy exchanged our Windows 8.1 for a 7.
Message 4 of 14

By 'expert', I was not referring to you ^. And btw, I'm sure your idea would work, I'm just not a PC person, and try to spend the least amount of time on 'that side' of Parallels as possible - lol - except when we're using inventor
Message 5 of 14

^ just to clarify... although you are an expert, I did not feel chided by you, it was on another forum.
Message 6 of 14
swalton

Check with your son's instructor and confirm the Inventor version that the college is using.  If you don't install the matching version, it will not be easy to transfer files from school to home. 

Basically old versions of IV (2013, 2012, 2011) can't open files created by any newer version.  Newer versions of Inventor can't save files in an older version.

There are some conversion file formats that can move data from version to version but those do not provide as much information as using the native files.

As I understand the educational license, you should be able to pick one of several versions to download and install.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 14
blair

It may work, but with all the problems with Win8 and Win8.1 running Inventor, even with the current version of 2014 (it needs all the updates and hot-fixes) I really am leery about installing a older version of Inventor on Win8 running on a Mac. Inventor 2015 is about to release next month, that mean that Autodesk only supports the three current versions of Inventor with hot-fixes and service packs. I know that IV2011 will run on Win7 on a Mac.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 14

Hi danielneuhaus,

So I'm a bit lost on where you are at this point with the computer, are you getting a PC from Best Buy? If so you should be able to run Inventor 2014 on Windows 7 or 8.1. (It was just Inventor 2011 on Windows 8.1 that wasn't going to work.)

I understand that your connection speed was the original issue, but I think you'd be ahead to find a faster connection speed (if at all possible) and download the current version of Inventor. It is a big download, but with a speedy connection it doesn't take that long at all (not trying to rub it in Smiley Frustrated). In the long run I think Inventor 2014 would be the best bet for your student.

So maybe backing up and resolving the error message you encountered when installing 2014 is worth a try?

Installation and Licensing Forum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

Your son can get a 36 month license here:

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 14
blair
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Which very way you go, if your register Inventor under Parallels, then you must always run it under Parallels or it will break the Inventor registration.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 14
LT.Rusty

@danielneuhaus wrote:
"9 days 8 hrs 45 min" to load.

Your internet connection sounds about as fast as mine at the office.  Last week I needed to install 2014 for something at the office, and it was telling me that it'd take anywhere between 7 and 14 days for the download.  I wound up just going home to download the files onto an external hard drive and bring them back to work.  All 36-point-whatever gigs of Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014, plus the service pack and updates for Inventor ... took less than 35 minutes to download at home.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 14

Best Buy sold Windows 8.1 to us to install on our partitioned 2010 Mac Mini Maverick OS. The installation on IV 2014, 2012, 2011 failed. So, per suggestion from an autodesk forum expert, I purchsed a Windows 7 last week. Best buy exchanged the Win. 8 for a Win. 7, but the Win. 7 disc had to be mailed to us. The instalkation on Wind. 7 went fine, this morning. I went to load an IV 2011, which took only 37 min with our newly subscribed fioptics speed demon internet service through Cincinnati Bell ....but now there is a "Next volume required. You need to have the following volume to continue extraction:" message and it lists IV, 64 bit. I'm not a PC person, can't drag and drop like I can with my mac, so I'm clicking ok.
Any thoughts?
Message 12 of 14

^ cont'd - I clicked ok. Nothing happened. The installation is not complete. So then I clicked 'cancel'. Now I have an error msg: "some installation files are corrupt. Please retry the installation." Should I try to load 2014? Why is this so difficult?
Message 13 of 14

^at the very end of the installation it says: " The required volume is absent CRC failed in materiallibrary\CM\ Protei~1.cab"
Message 14 of 14
blair

Not a MAC person, can you post this in the Installations section of this forum. It's at the very beginning of this Inventor forum. There are a number of Autodesk staff that follow that forum much closer and have a little more tech info than us.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report