Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Reference to segment object used

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
karthur1
2038 Views, 17 Replies

Invalid Reference to segment object used

I derived in a part and I am trying to use a sketch from it in my new part.

I am trying to revolve my sketch and when I do I get this error.

2012-12-10_0903.png

I am using a English version, and I cant read chinese at all.  Design doctor shows no errors, but this will not revolve. Tried Extruding and get the same error.  When I try to revolve, it shows a preview of my part correctly, but when I click apply in the revolve dialog, that is when I get this error.

The files are attached and here is a video of my steps. In the zip file, the -M8.ipt needs the EOF marker moved all the way to the bottom.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault Basic 2013

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
psaarloos
in reply to: karthur1

Hi,

I am also getting this error sometimes..

ChineseError.png

It occurs mainly when trying to insert a custom content center member through the API. The weird thing is that it doesn't occur everytime. First I thought it had something to do with the Check In command of the Vault Addin, because turning off DWF creation at check in time solved the problem - or at least I thought. It came back after a while, so probably nothing to do with the Check in command as well..

Could somebody from Autodesk, please point out what could cause this Chinese error on a English version of Inventor? How can I get rid of this error? Any hotfixes?

Regards,

Pim Saarloos

Regards,
Pim Saarloos
Product Manager
If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Kudos are much appreciated!
Message 3 of 18
rene.van.haaren

I'm getting the same type of errors that Pim describes.

Anybody got a clue?

Message 4 of 18
4donwan4

Not going to admit I have a clue but can state this error is too generic to say that all possible instances where you would see this pop up could be related. Kirk's issue seems to be at the sketch level. see attached. Pim’s might be at the content center level but possible this CC part might have blocks in it? Depending on IDCL or MDF format I would run library through the update wizard located in project file, select the “Configure CC Libraries button above the “Done” button if you see a lightning bolt. Kirk for your file I will log it to development.

Regards,

Don

Message 5 of 18
kylegoltsch

I am also getting this message.  I have talked to Autodesk Technical support and they have sent it to development.  I am now been rebuilding my assembly everyday since 12/6/2012 and have no answer.  I just have to keep re doing the same work everyday (if I was in a joking mood I would reference Groundhogs day with Bill Murray).

My customer wanted a final design on 12/12.  He is still (impatiently) waiting.  

Message 6 of 18
ericflick

I am also getting this error. I have a layout sketch in an assembly which I am using to create sheet metal parts. I can edit a part in context of the assembly but then when I return to parent I get the error.

Looking at this thread it has been happening for a while.

Sure would be nice if AutoDesk had a fix.

Error.png

Inventor 2013 SP2

Message 7 of 18
kylegoltsch
in reply to: ericflick

Eric, Mine was due to the power transmission tools in Inventor. I had added gears and a timing belt with it. When I deleted it, the error went away. Hope this helps. Kyle
Message 8 of 18
DaveRank3265
in reply to: kylegoltsch

I'm also having trouble tracking this one down.

Everything shows up-to-date.  Design Doctor is happy.  Yet warning comes up whenever assembly is loaded.

Here's the text of the error:

"An invalid version of a segment referenced from required segment DesignViewSegment was found in file mypath\a-part.ipt"

--rcc Dave
Message 9 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: 4donwan4

@4donwan4 wrote:

Kirk's issue seems to be at the sketch level. see attached............ Kirk for your file I will log it to development.

Regards,

Don

I happened to run across this error again on a totally different part.  I saw your post from my previous issue.  You had presummed that the problem that I had was because of a sick sketch.  I fixed the sketch and I still get the same error message.  I am now using Inventor 2015, not 2013 as before.

http://screencast.com/t/XUeES3XwqP

2015 Files are attached here.

Message 10 of 18
DaveRank3265

Autodesk responded and we worked it through to a solution.

Observations:

1. No lightning bolt update was showing

2. No Design Doctor red cross was showing

3. The part file I sent to Autodesk showed no issues, but continued to be referenced in the error message

4. No deliterious effects noted when working on the file, except knowing something was phooey

We ended up opening the referenced part file and doing a Save As.  This cured it.

Don't know if a Save As would cure all issues showing this message, but it worked in may case.

--rcc Dave
Message 11 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: DaveRank3265

@DaveRank3265 wrote:

Autodesk responded and we worked it through to a solution.

..............We ended up opening the referenced part file and doing a Save As.  This cured it. 

Dave,

The error message that you listed, is not the same message from my original post,  However, I tried the solution that you gave (save copy for the referenced part) but that did not work in my case.  I still get the same message that I have been getting.

I am now using R2015, SP1.  Sad that this is still an issue two full releases later.

Kirk

Message 12 of 18
WILLIAMF

I am getting this Chinese message now. Created the part in 2018  and it happened. Opened same file at work today on 2019 and same message. Did a save as  and renamed a still the same message. Could it be that since the model  origin was a step file a customer sent be causing the problem. Have to figure out a fix for this. 

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Product Design Suite 2019 Ultimate
Message 13 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: WILLIAMF

William,

Would it be possible to post the .stp file that has the issue?

Kirk

Message 14 of 18
WILLIAMF

Yes,

So I  had to reverse engineer (create it) a 3D sketch within a step file that I received. File name corrupt 2. The I copy and pasted the 3D sketch into a new IPT to create a new file and edit the 3D sketch to the bend radii I want. When I attempt that I get the message. Never saw that message since working with release 5.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 15 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi William,

This is definitely a bug. Something is corrupted. It could be the constraint within the 3D Sketch or the geometry. Would you be able to reproduce it from scratch?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 18
WILLIAMF
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yeah,

Easier to reproduce from scratch.  That's what I did. Strange behavior though.

Thx

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 17 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi William,

But, I need the exact steps leading to the corruption. I am wondering if it happens right after tangent constraints are added to the path.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 18
WILLIAMF
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Not sure. There was a file before this I did not include where I bisected 3D straight line  form the tangent edge to tangent edge throughout. Then made straight line  3D sketch to the mid point of each. Then added a point at the apex of each bend and made coincident so the point is at the intersection of the straight lines. Then I connected all the dots to generate a 3D sweep path thought out the tube if you can follow that. Don't have the file now its at home but I will post tomorrow. To visualize look a the screen cast JD Mather posted a Sunday. He helped me out with this. The topic was 3D sketch from 3D sketches. Worked like a charm until I got the error message. It only happened on this item. Did the  same process on other designs with no problem. 

Thanks

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report