Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inv 2012 SP1 Data Entry in Old Dialogs

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
mbenoy
1071 Views, 19 Replies

Inv 2012 SP1 Data Entry in Old Dialogs

The only thing that has changed since Friday is the install of SP1 so I'd like to see if anyone else who has installed SP1 for 2012 can check this error for me?

I use the old dialog boxes instead of the mini-toolbars (don't get me wound up).  I just noticed yesterday some strange behavior when I change the value in the dialog box.

In the example in the attached screenshots, I started the fillet command and selected edges.  The default fillet was ".3" and I want to change to ".4375".  As you can see in the image, at one point while typing, Inventor decided to highlight the entry again, and as you see overwrote the ".4" with "375".

I'm checking other dialog boxes now but so far all I know is the fillet dialog box.  Also does it on the value of a variable fillet too.

Thanks.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
cwhetten
in reply to: mbenoy

I have seen this same thing in Inventor 2011.  It INFURIATES me!  Smiley Mad  I actually see it more frequently when I am trying to input in the new mini-toolbars.  I probably would have switched to using the mini-toolbars if they just didn't do this.  But as it is, I have stuck with the dialogs because I see it less there.

It is practically impossible to input parameters into a formula in the mini-toolbar.  For example, I have a parameter called Length and one called Thickness.  I need to set a dimension to Length + Thickness * 2.  As soon as I input the Length parameter, it becomes highlighted and then it is immediately overwritten when I press the '+' key.  So, I end up with '+ Thickness*2'.  And I have to mess around with the mouse and the keyboard, highlighting and overwriting and re-writing and GRRRRR!

Anyway, I post to say that I also experience this problem.  (And if you can't tell, it really peeves me).

-cwhetten

Message 3 of 20
bobvdd
in reply to: cwhetten

We were able to reproduce this in R2012Sp1. Something is wrong with the input buffer of the fillet command.

Clearly a regression in R2012Sp1 compared to R2012.

Our QA department is in the process of having this logged and it is being taken care of.

Thanks for reporting.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 20
mbenoy
in reply to: bobvdd

Thank you.  I hope this is resolved very soon.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Message 5 of 20
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi All,

Appreciate your report and comment !

We have logged it in our issue tracking system (1416175) and development team is resolving it. Hope it will be fixed in hotfix or next service pack.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 6 of 20
SKinzel

I just noticed that if you use the "flyout" that pops up with the dialog box to enter the number instead of the dialog box the number is accepted as it should

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 7 of 20
BRUND

I was able to get used to using the ribbon style tool bar, and found it to be an overall improvement.  I am having more dificulty getting used to the mini toolbars.  I think that they actual slow me down.  There is to much happening in one little area.  Is there an option to turn off the mini toolbars or customize them yet.    I do think that some features might be useful, but it would be nice to have options.  I am not giving up on this feature, and need to give it more time before I am to critical.  On the other hand the select other in 2012 is a thumbs down.  I'm not sure that I need to know what number each geometric feature is.  Is their an advantage I don't know about?  Overall it is great that new features are being offered, but options to use them are nice too. For any new Inventor users reading this here is a bit of advice.  Learn how use keyboard short cuts and a 3D manipulator (3D Connexions Space Navigator for example).  You can increase you speed quite a bit by using both hands, rather than doing everything with one cursor. 

There is a good chance that some of these comments have been resolved.  I would love to here about any solutions or work arounds.

Ben

Message 8 of 20
mbenoy

Can we get an update on this fix?

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Message 9 of 20
bobvdd

We are still working on the hotfix Scott. I cannot put a date on it but rest assured we will deliver  a fix in the foreseeable future.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 10 of 20
mcgyvr

The fix is easy.. Just ditch the mini-toolbars.. We don't want them. Smiley Very Happy ...no seriously ditch um.

So I know this guy that carries a new wallet and his old one in the same pocket.. He says the new one doesn't have all the pockets yet but hopes it will someday.. Welcome to the world of Autodesk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 20
mbenoy

This has apparently been fixed with a hotfix posted 9 days ago.  Thanks for letting us know.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17804875&linkID=9242019

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Message 12 of 20
SKinzel

I'm not sure exactly when the last time I installed an update, more than 9 days I'm sure, but my Inventor says it is up to date.  Guess I'll follow the link to see if this is an update I need.

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 13 of 20
mbenoy

So, I just noticed that this now does something else strange.  It took a while to notice what was happening to me.  After this hotfix, when you're typing in your dimension in the old dialog box, if you pause long enough (1/2 second or so) for the preview to update you loose focus again and have to go back to the dialog box and select the dimension text again.  And by preview, I don't mean the full preview only.  It happens either way, whether preview is enabled or diabled.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Message 14 of 20
bobvdd

Michael,

Can you provide a screenshot or even better a small video that shows what you are seeing?

Just like you, I have hotfix  DL17804875 installed but I don't seem to be able to see the loss of focus that you are mentioning.

Thanks

Bob

BTW: we have pulled hotfix DL17804875 from the download site because we have discovered other problems with it and we are working on a better version of this hotfix.

Bob Van der Donck

Message 15 of 20
mbenoy

All I had handy creates a SWF file.  Hopefully that's not a problem.  If so I can provide something else tomorrow.  In this video you will see that I change the dimension of the fillet from .125 to .25.  That works fine as long as I type fast enough.  Second part you will see me then try to change the .25 to .375.  I pause after the ".3" just long enough for the preview to update and the focus is then lost.  The "75" goes nowhere.  This happen even if full preview checkbox is off.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Message 16 of 20
bobvdd

Thanks Scott for the video that clearly shows what is going on on your machine (the edit cursor changing unexpectedly to a select cursor).

Several people here at Autodesk have tried to reproduce this new problem without much success. We tried different hotfix and service pack combinations.

Can you send us a screen snapshot of the Inventor service pack(s) and hotfixes that you have installed momentarily?
You can do this from the Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features and select "View installed updates".

One other thing I am interested in knowing: I did not see the mini-toolbar in your video. What exactly did you do to get rid of the mini-toolbar? 

Thanks

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 17 of 20
kburg

I am very interested in the fix for this.  We have been experiencing this same issue for a few monthes on all 4 of our stations.

Windows 11
Inventor 2022
Message 18 of 20
mbenoy

The screenshot of the updates is attached.

Unfortunatley, the mini toolbar is not gone.  If I could only be that lucky.  It's off to the right, out of my way, and the video is only a partial screen.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Message 19 of 20
bobvdd

Thanks Michael.

I think we found out what is going on (thanks to your last screenshot BTW).

It is the combination of Inventor Optimization with this hotfix DL17804875 that causes the loss of focus while editing a fillet radius.

DL17804875 is supposed to fix the other problem that radius values get eaten up while being entered.

So right now there is no good solution to solve both problems at the same time when you use Inventor Optimization.

I have made our development team aware of the problem and they are looking into it.

Thanks for your tenacity on this 🙂

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 20 of 20
bobvdd

The new hotfix that fixes the fillet entry problems is now available here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL18304573

It fixes a couple of other issues as well.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report