Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection extrusion

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mnielsen55
1663 Views, 4 Replies

Intersection extrusion

I'm trying to make an intersection extrusion from some 2D Autocad sketches I imported & scaled. I was able to make the first set to get the general shape of the housing shown below, but now I'm trying to do another section (highlighted in yellow in the picture below).

My problem is that it eliminates the original profile I made because it doesn't intersect with that body. I tried splitting it into 2 separate solids so it would only intersect with the second solid, but that doesn't seem to work.

Can you advise how I'd successfully achieve this? I'm not too familiar with drawing up complex curves like this.

Thanks for the help!

-Mark

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: mnielsen55

Mark,

I have your model open and I have eliminated the second solid body and did not see any issues.

I do think that you need to simplify your base sketch somewhat.  I will do that and show you what I mean.

Understand, when doing something this complicated, you do not have to do all features in one shot.

I am thinnking you are better served by making the initial sketch more simple and then shelling the model.

Then building the internal features from there.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
mnielsen55
in reply to: Cadmanto

I look forward to your response to see how your model looks. 

In the screenshot below I was expecting the intersection of the sketch (shown in blue) to be the resulting body of the extrusion, but instead it just leaves the shape in grey... not sure what I'm doing wrong.

-Mark

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: mnielsen55

Mark,

Here is what I came up with.  See attached.

You can see where I was going with this using the shell tool.  I did have to make some executive decisions on deleting somethings out of your sketches, but I figured it would at least give you an idea of what you can do.

Understand that when you bring in sketches from Autocad (which is fine) there sometimes are lines over lines and not everything needs to be used from the sketch.  So once it is brought in, you reallt need to clean them up to remove what exactly is not needed so you can create clean geometry from them.

You will probably need to reinsert some of your original sketches if you decide to move forwatrd with my model.

Good luck with this.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5
mnielsen55
in reply to: Cadmanto

That looks great! I'll use that in the future 🙂

Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report