Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert an arrow into a drawing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
waynehelley
47210 Views, 6 Replies

Insert an arrow into a drawing

Good morning,

I want to insert arrows into an idw.  I usually use 'Leader Text' then leave the text blank.

The only problem with this method is it leaves a small horizontal or vertical line at the 'text' end of the arrow.  Is there a way to get rid of this or is there an alternative way of inserting an arrow?

Thanks,

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
waynehelley
in reply to: waynehelley

Also, I don't want to just create a sketch symbol as I need to be able to easily resize/reposition

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 3 of 7
-niels-

Alternative way:

Make a new balloon style, set the shape to "none - all entries" and make it display an empty property.

(easiest is to use a custom property that doesn't exist in your models)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 7
iamerm
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks for this tip on making a new balloon style.  The only problem with this method is that the balloon needs to be attached to an object (or at least I believe it does).  Is there a way to have a balloon (or leader without extension line) that is able to float freely on the drawing sheet?

Message 5 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: iamerm

It's true that balloons needs to be attached to an object IF you want it to display the item/data for that object.

You can always drag a balloon off of the object, which will cause it to change to the alternative leader style.
If you set up your balloon style so the alternative is still an arrowhead, i guess you're good to go.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 7
iamerm
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks!  I actually discovered this by accident just before your post.  I dragged the balloon off an object & moved it to the desired location.  The arrow changed to a large dot, so I just right-clicked on the balloon & hit "Edit Arrowhead" to manually change it to a filled arrow.

I also right-clicked on the balloon & used the "Attach Text to Leader" option.  The text aligns nicely with the balloon line regardless of where you move it.

Message 7 of 7
kevin.kruse

Another way to do this is to look up the alt codes.

I used Alt+26 for a right arrow.  It did not work directly in the inventor text box so I did it in outlook first then copy and pasted the text into the Inventor text box.  Now you can move it anywhere change size and any other feature you can do to text.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report