Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental dimensions with a minimum

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
JeremyEccleston
638 Views, 3 Replies

Incremental dimensions with a minimum

I am new to Inventor and maybe biting off more than I can chew, but I am trying to set up a dimension that starts at a minimum value and increases incrementally by 1/16" of an inch to satisfy another dimension.  I've attached a pdf showing the part and the two dimensions.  I need the overall thickness of the part to start at 1 1/4" as shown and as the width (Depth + 1 1/2") changes, the thickness will grow when the tongue of the part gets less than 5/8".  I'm guessing this is an area best suited to ILogic, but I'm not sure how to get started.  Can anyone help, please?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: JeremyEccleston

You can do dimension equations/expressions in Inventor..

Watch this video.. Somewhere around the 2:45 second mark they start showing how to put equations/expressions into the dimension box..

Then

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0733-Design_O733/Functions%2c_pr...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
JeremyEccleston
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you for looking at my question.  I'm not quite sure how to apply your suggestion.  I also don't see a video.  Maybe it's being blocked on our end, but normally there is a warning box that it was blocked.  I have an expression already in the one dimension field.  It is grabbing the "depth" dimension from another part and adding 1 1/2" to it.  I tried to do something like an IF/THEN statement that I would use in Excel, but that stayed red and would accept.  I also don't know how to make it adjust in 1/16" increments.  Maybe you could show me an example of what you're thinking?

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: JeremyEccleston

Sorry forgot to post the video

http://video.answers.com/how-to-use-dimensions-in-autodesk-inventor-2011-299992420

How many different configurations will you have? You are making this an ipart right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report