Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing *.wrl and *dae

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Logos_Atum
10737 Views, 9 Replies

Importing *.wrl and *dae

Hello there,

is there a decent way to import *.wrl and *.dae files to Inventor/ FDS?

Which other programs might I need? Meshlab sounds promising but I

had troubles with the materials of the *.wrl file.

It´s a rather big *.wrl file and the corresponding *dae file is even bigger.

All suggestions are very welcome

Kind regards

Daniel

P.S.: I also thought about bringing them together in Navisworks or Max.

Dogs aren´t flammable.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi, Sereniance,

Thanks for your reporting and we see new requirement from customers for Inventor 🙂 !

Currently Inventor does not support to read *.wrl or *.dae file directly, for *.dae format I know the Google SketchUp software can import it, so the workaround for *.dae format I think is: import *.dae file in Google SketchUp -> Export it to AutoCAD DWG format -> Open it in Inventor. For *.wrl format I know NX software can import it, so the workaround for *.wrl format I think is: import *.wrl file in NX -> Export it to IGES/STEP/DWG format -> Open it in Inventor.

Hope this information can help you !

If you have any requirement for Inventor data translation, please don't hesitate to post in this forum or just contact me via email Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com , its YOU to help us to enhance our quality and functionality!

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 10

Hello there Kevin,

I will try to use sketch up in the process. Importing the dae file into Showcase is already

possible I noticed. All it requires is to convert it to FBX first with Autodesks FBX converter

first. Most of the materials are preserved, just the textures fail to display correctly.

I will try to use the DWG route via SketchUp now. The files are pretty big so it will probably

take some time to do so. Even though equipped with 16 GB of Ram Navisworks failed to

resave the file and demanded more physical memory.

Smaller wrl files import fine in Max and are to be exported to stl for Inventor. It works, but

just with smaller files. There is no NX version available, therefore I will have to look for a

different road to rome.

Glad if you see the need for more import/ export options too. I need to incooperate different

3D Cad packages into singular layouts as well as representations and those two formats will

be common and no exeption from "normal" (so hard to tell what´s normal- there´s so much

software out there).

Thanks for the suggestions- I will get back to you as soon as I´ve tested the suggested 😉

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 4 of 10
Logos_Atum
in reply to: Logos_Atum

Hello there,

the sketch up variant does not work - I assume the file is too complex. Importing

stops short to 40%.

Right now I am going to try the fbx route as Max refuses to import the wrl file at all.

The problem with the stl out in max is, that despite of measuring 1,4 GB, the stl is

empty as I import it in Inventor.

Are there any other options? Importing in Showcase works but I can´t make any use

of that right now, as we need to incooperate the suppliers files to the FDS 3D Layout.

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 5 of 10

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for the reply!

For importing *.wrl format, as far as I know Rhino, ProE can also open *.wrl file directly, not sure if you have the license or not for Rhino and ProE, maybe it has some try days. If have the access, then open it in Rhino/ProE -> export it to neutral format IGES/STEP -> open it in Inventor.

For import *.dae format, 3ds Max can import it, so if possible, we can import *.dae in 3ds Max -> export it to IGES/STEP maybe other format -> open it in Inventor. Since your file size is huge, I suppose it will cost many time to finish importing in 3ds Max or SketchUp (you can launch Windows Task Manager, Processes tab, find 3ds Max or SketchUp process, if its memory is updating, it indicates the translation process is working in progress, anyway this is a good performance test case :)).

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 6 of 10

Hello Kevin,

the alternatives you named sound promising. I will probably have a look

at the trial versions. 

I need a format which is able to keep the materials of the original *.wrl file.

You´re right Max took some time to import the wrl. I assume this was caused

by the sheer polycout and the cameras.

Memory utiliuzation leaves me 17 (!) Megabytes of the 16GB of system mem.

I´m testing if there´s a route via mesh lab which preserves the appearances.

I´ll keep in touch

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 7 of 10
Logos_Atum
in reply to: Logos_Atum

Hello Kevin,

Rhino seems to be able but there is a problem.The *.wrl files are meshes and I can´t just save them as Step.

I encounter the same problem when trying to export the *dae or *.fbx files. Converting to NURBS works, but

the Solid conversion fails. Some Polymeshes seemingly can´t be converted, that´s no big suprise.

Any further suggestions?

Kind regards

Daniel

P.S.: I need more RAM

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 8 of 10

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, Rhino has its embedded command "MeshToNURB" to convert mesh to solid, I don't know why some polymeshes cannot be converted to NURBS, but suggest to try to edit those polymeshes from Mesh dropdown menu in Rhino then try to convert it again.

One more hint is you can search keypoint "Rhino mesh to solid" in google and I see there are existed plugin for download to convert mesh to solid, but not sure if it is free or has no legal problem.

The third possible way is try to export the imported .wrl file to .stl in Rhino, then open it in Inventor, since Inventor has a plugin named "MeshEnabler" which can also convert mesh to solid. This plugin is free and you can download it from our lab: http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/inventor_mesh, then use this plugin to convert in Inventor.  

Yes, huge size data translation will cost much memory.

Have a nice day and good luck !

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 9 of 10

Hello Kevin,

thanks for the reply - been on vacation anyway 😄

I will try mesh enabler and let you know if it works.

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 10 of 10

Daniel,

3ds max can import .wrl and export .dwg

Regards,

shootingrubberbandsatthestars

(Mark)

PS: first i tried autodesk fbx converter and .wrl was not a correct file type

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report