Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing old versions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
krisd
340 Views, 5 Replies

Importing old versions

Hi, I have Inventor 2013. I've tried to import someone else's 2010 + 2012 version drawing borders but I get the message that they were created on a newer version of 'schema' files. 

These others now have version 2014 and whilst they may have opened the borders in this newer version they did not let them update (apparently). 

Is it possible the 'schema's' automatically updated and if so can I copy their 'schema's' into my schema file location to resolve the issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: krisd

@krisd wrote:

These others now have version 2014 and whilst they may have opened the borders in this newer version they did not let them update (apparently). 

Apparently they did update.

In Windows Explorer right click on the filename and select iProperties.

What does iProperties report as the current Inventor version of the file?

iProperties.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
swalton

The "schema" error is typically what one sees when opening a file from a new version of IV with an old version.  In your case, you have IV 2013 and the others have files created by IV 2012, but migrated to the 2014 release. 

There is no option to save 2014 files in a native format that 2013 can read.  Part and Assembly files can be saved as a .stp or other data interchange format, but you lose all the model tree.

Your options:

1. MIgrate to 2014.

2. Export the 2014 drawing borders to AutoCAD and try to bring them in to 2013.  There may be manual work to make the 2013 borders correct.

3. Re-create the 2014 borders manually in 2013.

4. Have the 3rd party pull the 2010/2012borders from their offline backups, that were made before the 3rd party's migration to 2014, and use those. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 6
rdyson

If they haven't uninstalled their 2010 or 2012 version, non-updated templates should still be available in the respected template directory.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 6
krisd
in reply to: rdyson

Those have long gone.
Message 6 of 6
krisd
in reply to: swalton

1. MIgrate to 2014.

Can't afford it!

2. Export the 2014 drawing borders to AutoCAD and try to bring them in to 2013.  There may be manual work to make the 2013 borders correct.

They're using dwl's.!

3. Re-create the 2014 borders manually in 2013.

Might have to but trying to avoid this tedious task.

4. Have the 3rd party pull the 2010/2012borders from their offline backups, that were made before the 3rd party's migration to 2014, and use those. 

Sounds like the best option - if copying over the schema's won't work. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report