Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Solidwork files: feature recognition

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
giovanni79
2987 Views, 6 Replies

Importing Solidwork files: feature recognition

I am trying to import a series of Solidowrks 2011 files to edit them into Inventor 2013.

The Task Scheduler works as advertised and I can open the Solidowrks files, but they do not have any editable features. On another thread I saw that there is a plug in called Feature Recognition for Inventor (http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/feature_recognition/). Do I have to use it on each file one by one? Is there a way to automate this process during import?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
stevenguy
in reply to: giovanni79

Inventor has add-in call Feature recognition and you have to open each SW part or stp file then it will ask you if you want to convert the dummy part to Invetor for editable.

I don't think it will work automatic with task scheduler.

Good luck.

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

I asked a similar question a few months back.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-Feature-works/td-p/3382285

There is a link in this thread to the download of Inventors version of Solidworks feature works.

My experience in using this (all be it very limited) would be you would have to perform this operation on each SW imported file.  Unless you can create an ilogic routine to do a sequence of them.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@giovanni79 wrote:

Do I have to use it on each file one by one?

Why would you have to use it on every file?  Are they all wrong?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
stevenguy
in reply to: JDMather

My company has sub out some small assembly design and they use SW to do design.

When I get the file back the design is completed but it alway some thing you need to change and maybe simular design for future.

I use Inventor feature regconition and it is not fun at all. I open SW 2011 assembly with INV 2012 and start convert one by one and re-assemble the assembly.

Some feature has fail and you have to manually fix it. Feature regconition will not convert to sheet metal feature.

Also Feature regconition add-in will disable your vault add-in if you use the feature regconigtion until you reboot your Inventor.

The Auto Lab know this bug and I hope they fix it soon.

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 6 of 7
giovanni79
in reply to: stevenguy

It looks like I have lots of work ahead!

Not all files are "wrong" but many of them need tewaking and I often use the old one to create new parts. I really hope it will be possible to do it automatically in future versions. In addition to that many of our suppliers use SolidWorks and I hoped there was an easier way to proceed.

Message 7 of 7
mflayler2

Or you can also...

1.  Use the Edit Solid or Fusion tools to do some quick changes (I use Edit Solid a lot with SM parts)

2.  Buy a seat of SW for these little changes

3.  Depending on your relationship with your supplier you could request they use Inventor for your models.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report