Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing MDT Assembly Files to Inventor 2014/2015

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
LT.Rusty
1857 Views, 23 Replies

Importing MDT Assembly Files to Inventor 2014/2015

There is an excellent tutorial out there that shows how to get Mechanical Desktop parts into Inventor.  Problem is, it only seems to work when you're importing a single part.  If the MDT file you're trying to import is an assembly (I'm guessing that's the right term - I was never an MDT user) then all it does is throw up an error and you're outta luck.

Anyone have a workaround for this?

Rusty

EESignature

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
mdavis22569
in reply to: LT.Rusty

step or sat it out .... I have to do this for a customer ...and all the parts came in as individual ipt's assemblys. Might have to feature recognize them after if it's a dirty part ... Sometimes you can open the assembly right in inventor too ..but I've found translating works much easier.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mdavis22569

@michaeldavis7418 wrote:
step or sat it out .... I have to do this for a customer ...and all the parts came in as individual ipt's assemblys. Might have to feature recognize them after if it's a dirty part ... Sometimes you can open the assembly right in inventor too ..but I've found translating works much easier.

If I had access to Mechanical Desktop, that's what I'd probably do.

I'm looking for workarounds using the workflow that's built in to Inventor.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 24
mdavis22569

what about Autocad

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mdavis22569

@michaeldavis7418 wrote:
what about Autocad

I can get the drawings, but not the models, so far as I've been able to discover.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 24
ampster401

I don't have a MDT file at the moment to confirm this, but within the last month or two I found that same link and I had success at bringing in an assy - I was happy to finally have a solution!  In the past we could not get MDT 2009 to install completely, we could only get it to work for the free 30 days.

If you could supply a .dwg MDT file, I'd be happy to test this once more.

Message 7 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: ampster401

Shoot me a PM with your email, Ampster.  I'll send you over a file.  The ones that I have are proprietary, so I can't post them here.

Thanks!

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 24
ampster401

Done. I'll wait to receive your file and private reply (if needed) before posting my results.

What update are you up to with 2014?  I'm currently running it with no updates or service packs.  What I'm thinking is I could try before updating and then after - hopefully seeing some different results!

Message 9 of 24
LT.Rusty

@ampster401 wrote:

Done. I'll wait to receive your file and private reply (if needed) before posting my results.

What update are you up to with 2014?  I'm currently running it with no updates or service packs.  What I'm thinking is I could try before updating and then after - hopefully seeing some different results!

You should have email now!  Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I'm running 2014 fully updated to ... I guess it's SP1 update 3 now.  2015 obviously with no service packs or updates.  I get the same result in both for the two files I sent you.

These files are proprietary information, so any files that you are able to get out of this, please don't attach them here.  🙂

This is the error message that I get with every single MDT assembly:

Capture.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 24
ampster401

That's the same error msg I get attempting to open any MDT assemblies. My bad for thinking this worked for me previously! I had thought since I was in a .iam file the process worked for me! Turns out those were single part files. I do get the feeling there is a bug here with opening MDT assembly files - looking forward to the results others may post about.
Message 11 of 24
ampster401

just adding that I discovered during the import process where Inventor prompts you to select a template file to base the import off of, it only contains a .ipt template option, not .iam...

not sure if that's anything to report....just throwing it out there.

Message 12 of 24
ampster401

up to the top with a screenshot showing possible missing .iam tempate option.

MDT-import-template-options.png

Message 13 of 24
ampster401

my turn! Just received an MDT .dwg file that is an assy and am stuck...hopefully An Autodesk'er chimes in soon!
Message 14 of 24
LT.Rusty

I did hit the "escalate" button ...  it was logged as Case 09501753 on 22 April 2014.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 15 of 24
rdyson

If you want to sent it to me, I still have MDT 2009 loaded. I should be able to convert it for you.

PDSU 2016
Message 16 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:
If you want to sent it to me, I still have MDT 2009 loaded. I should be able to convert it for you.

Much as I'd love to take you up on that one, I don't think you could really afford to spend 40+ hours a week for the next couple months converting all our MDT files for us.  🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 17 of 24
rdyson

I'd be happy to give you a quote!!

PDSU 2016
Message 18 of 24
LT.Rusty

@rdyson wrote:
I'd be happy to give you a quote!!

I just bet you would!  🙂

I'd be happier if I could just do it myself.  😛

Rusty

EESignature

Message 19 of 24
ampster401

Thanks for the offer rdyson! I was sent individual MDT part files this morning and was able to import those into Inventor. The client will just have to reassemble those into a single file.
Message 20 of 24
LT.Rusty

Bump for added visibility ...

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report