Inventor General

Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 11 of 14 (111 Views)

Re: If you have a moment...Laptop GPU and Good or Bad

02-13-2013 09:27 AM in reply to: DarrenP

Yea I don't plan on making a ton blurays, however, the burner is $97 and the reader is $56, difference of $41, figured it was a worthwhile option to have.

Was really concerned with the video card options,but now that I seem some specs with people using GeForce cards, much older the 680M with no issues, gives a bit of relief with my decision. Was not like that $2000 price tag on the Quadro 5000K!!

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 12 of 14 (92 Views)

02-14-2013 12:38 AM in reply to: DarrenP

DarrenP wrote:

that will be an awesome machine

depending on the screen resolution, which isn't mentioned...  as long as it's a 1080 (or higher) screen instead of a 720/768 which would be frustrating given the competency of the rest of the spec.

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 13 of 14 (91 Views)

02-14-2013 12:45 AM in reply to: SeanFarr

there are a few die-hard Quadro fans but at the end of the day they're only needed for OpenGL applications (like Solidworks, and thus them appearing on 99% "cad pc's").  Inventor moved to DirectX (typical gaming graphics system) with something like release 11 (not even 2011 but 11) and with that we've been able to use gaming cards pretty much just as well as workstation cards, sometimes better - all without the massive financial overhead.  Saying this... if you use any other application which is OpenGL then you might be better with the Quadro, you will have to consider all other applications, just keep in mind that Inventor is happy with either.

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 14 of 14 (78 Views)

02-14-2013 04:35 AM in reply to: sam_m

I do not have any complaints with the Quadro series, currently using the 600, but i just don't understand the $2000K price tag...might be more justifiable if it was $800-$1000, but way too much, especially if the GeForce cards can handle most, if not all tasks thrown at it. Also I don't see us switching to OpenGL software anytime soon, I hope.

Screen Resolution is indeed 1920x1080.

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube