Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
dick_upton
Message 1 of 7 (210 Views)

IV2010 - Showing limited number of hidden lines in a view.

210 Views, 6 Replies
09-30-2009 07:41 AM
How do I show a limited number of hidden lines in a view without selecting the ones I don't want and turning their visibility off? Contrarily, Is there a way to select the ones I WANT to show in a particular view and turn the rest off? Without impacting the other views?
Contributor
MCBUS
Message 2 of 7 (210 Views)

Re: IV2010 - Showing limited number of hidden lines in a view.

09-30-2009 08:22 AM in reply to: dick_upton
http://www.screencast.com/users/CADGeeks/folders/Default/media/b8da7701-75d1-4867-bb47-42eb88fcbcca

If you set your filter to "Select Part Priority" you can select the part in the in the view. RMB then select hidden lines. This way you do not have to search through the browser. Edited by: MCBUS on Sep 30, 2009 10:24 AM
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 7 (210 Views)

09-30-2009 09:02 AM in reply to: dick_upton
To turn off a large number of Hidden Lines in a single part view see attached.
The trick is to click on the Layer box three times (don't ask me why).
Notice that I preserve the hidden lines on the holes to the left while hidding the rest.

The method shown is for easy to window or crossing window select. If the wanted lines are close to unwanted lines then select all to hide all of them. Then right mouse button to show hidden edges and select only the ones you want and then right mouse button Done.
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
dick_upton
Message 4 of 7 (210 Views)

09-30-2009 09:09 AM in reply to: dick_upton
These are both excellent methods and can be used in conjunction or separately. Thanks for the input guys!!
dick_upton
Message 5 of 7 (210 Views)

09-30-2009 09:19 AM in reply to: dick_upton
BTW JD, the classic UI doesn't require you to click the layer dropdown 3 times. Yep 66% less mouseclicks on this operation alone if you turn off the ribbon!! :-P
dick_upton
Message 6 of 7 (210 Views)

09-30-2009 10:14 AM in reply to: dick_upton
MC, I was trying this technique and I believe there's a small catch-22 in that - in order to "see" completely hidden parts - you must have hidden lines turned on in the view. But then the option is also already then checked for the part. But when I turn off the hidden lines, I can no longer RMB / select the part in the grapics area. The bottom line is that some portion of the part must first have to be not hidden in order to select it in the graphics area with selection priority set to "Part priority".

Likewise when I hover on the parts in the browser tree, the parts that are completely hidden do not "light up", so I can't know which part it is of the 3,400 parts that I want to show the hidden lines without somehow knowing beforehand what part I want to show the hidden lines on. Another catch-22. This is demonstrated in the video when the guy RMB's the piston on the browser tree and is momentarily confused to find he turned on the wrong piston and shifts the video center to the one he turned on.

Unless I'm missing something, the technique is rather cool, but for real world application there are some WORKFLOW problems.

Maybe I'm missing something.
dick_upton
Message 7 of 7 (210 Views)

10-01-2009 08:14 AM in reply to: dick_upton
Any ideas on a way to get around this seemingly catch-22 situation?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube