Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
pkquat
Message 1 of 6 (115 Views)

IV10Sp3a - Need some iFeature vs iPunch help for a simple slot - zip attached

115 Views, 5 Replies
06-20-2007 03:06 PM
Attached are two parts and an iFeature that I keep in the "Punch" folder and use as a punch. It is common that clearance holes need to turn into slots and vice versa. The centerpoint is the perfect locator for both. The problem is I have not found a good way to place an iFeature slot on a centerpoint as easy as I do an iPunch. This means I have to convert the part to sheet metal and then back again.

Is there an easy way to place a slot, or a similar slot like this with an iFeature? ie as easy as the Hole Feature or iPunch Feature?

The other thing I do is add an axis and plane thought the center points to aid in constraining. If I remember correctly it was not possible to include work geometry in an iFeature (at least with version 10)

Pete
*Dave Hoder
Message 2 of 6 (115 Views)

Re: IV10Sp3a - Need some iFeature vs iPunch help for a simple slot - zip attached

06-20-2007 03:21 PM in reply to: pkquat
Is the CC slot feature an option for you?
pkquat
Message 3 of 6 (115 Views)

Re: IV10Sp3a - Need some iFeature vs iPunch help for a simple slot - zip attached

06-20-2007 03:25 PM in reply to: pkquat
Not yet.

Until more people praise CC and there are less issues between releases, we have no plans to use the CC.

Pete

-Bump since this was a late evening post
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 6 (115 Views)

06-21-2007 07:26 AM in reply to: pkquat
I routinely make all iFeatures as though they will be Punches. I once got the bright idea that I would customize the Part Features Panel Bar and drag the Punch tool icon there, but alas it didn't work from the Modeling Environment, only Sheet Metal Environment. I just go back and forth now to gain the "Holes-like" simplicity of placing certain iFeatures. Maybe someday....
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
pkquat
Message 5 of 6 (115 Views)

06-21-2007 07:42 AM in reply to: pkquat
I did the same thing with the punch tool and there is a thread burried somewhere in here about it. The funny thing was the guys at Autodesk could use it in their part features panel bar . Alas, I think it was before R11 even, and have not heard that this is possible in 2008 yet.

Pete
Active Contributor
michmaju
Message 6 of 6 (42 Views)

Re: IV10Sp3a - Need some iFeature vs iPunch help for a simple slot - zip attache

06-26-2012 03:16 PM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather wrote:
I routinely make all iFeatures as though they will be Punches. I once got the bright idea that I would customize the Part Features Panel Bar and drag the Punch tool icon there, but alas it didn't work from the Modeling Environment, only Sheet Metal Environment. I just go back and forth now to gain the "Holes-like" simplicity of placing certain iFeatures. Maybe someday....

Has anything changed in the current revision?

Matthew
INV 2013

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube