Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV10Sp3a - Need some iFeature vs iPunch help for a simple slot - zip attached

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pkquat
202 Views, 5 Replies

IV10Sp3a - Need some iFeature vs iPunch help for a simple slot - zip attached

Attached are two parts and an iFeature that I keep in the "Punch" folder and use as a punch. It is common that clearance holes need to turn into slots and vice versa. The centerpoint is the perfect locator for both. The problem is I have not found a good way to place an iFeature slot on a centerpoint as easy as I do an iPunch. This means I have to convert the part to sheet metal and then back again.

Is there an easy way to place a slot, or a similar slot like this with an iFeature? ie as easy as the Hole Feature or iPunch Feature?

The other thing I do is add an axis and plane thought the center points to aid in constraining. If I remember correctly it was not possible to include work geometry in an iFeature (at least with version 10)

Pete
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pkquat

Is the CC slot feature an option for you?
Message 3 of 6
pkquat

Not yet.

Until more people praise CC and there are less issues between releases, we have no plans to use the CC.

Pete

-Bump since this was a late evening post
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

I routinely make all iFeatures as though they will be Punches. I once got the bright idea that I would customize the Part Features Panel Bar and drag the Punch tool icon there, but alas it didn't work from the Modeling Environment, only Sheet Metal Environment. I just go back and forth now to gain the "Holes-like" simplicity of placing certain iFeatures. Maybe someday....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
pkquat

I did the same thing with the punch tool and there is a thread burried somewhere in here about it. The funny thing was the guys at Autodesk could use it in their part features panel bar . Alas, I think it was before R11 even, and have not heard that this is possible in 2008 yet.

Pete
Message 6 of 6
michmaju
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
I routinely make all iFeatures as though they will be Punches. I once got the bright idea that I would customize the Part Features Panel Bar and drag the Punch tool icon there, but alas it didn't work from the Modeling Environment, only Sheet Metal Environment. I just go back and forth now to gain the "Holes-like" simplicity of placing certain iFeatures. Maybe someday....

Has anything changed in the current revision?

Matthew
INV 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report