Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV 2010 - PDF defaults, SaveCopyAs or Export

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3361 Views, 13 Replies

IV 2010 - PDF defaults, SaveCopyAs or Export

Perhaps I am missing the settings, but I cannot find any way to change
the default PDF settings, specifically "current sheet" vs "all sheets".
I would prefer the setting to default to "all sheets" since many of my
drawings are multi-sheet. Thanks for the help.
--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Caliper LifeSciences

R2010 Pro SP2 D3D10
Vista x64 SP2
Dell Precision T5400
3.00 GHz Xeon 8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700
nVidia Driver 191.66 w/registry update
Dell UltraSharp 24" Widescreen LCD
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
BMiller63
in reply to: Anonymous

I second the request to be able to set default PDF options.
We too have not been able to set defaults for the all sheets, and "Remove All Line weights" options, and therefore have to toggle those two settings on for every single PDF we output. And because we use PDF as our primary output for flat files, we have to do this for every IDW we generate, every time.

(we've explored DWF and do use it in some cases, but PDF must remain our primary format for a number of reasons)

Thanks in advance for any input.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

It has my vote

--
IV2010-Pro-sp2
Vista Business 64bit Sp2
Core i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz
12Gb DDR3-1600, 240Gb (4 x 60 Gb SSD - RAID0)
Quadro FX3800 - 191.78
SpacePilot 3.8.3 / 6.8.1
AVG9.0
"Bmiller63" wrote in message news:6324043@discussion.autodesk.com...
I second the request to be able to set default PDF options.
We too have not been able to set defaults for the all sheets, and "Remove
All Line weights" options, and therefore have to toggle those two settings
on for every single PDF we output. And because we use PDF as our primary
output for flat files, we have to do this for every IDW we generate, every
time.

(we've explored DWF and do use it in some cases, but PDF must remain our
primary format for a number of reasons)

Thanks in advance for any input.
Message 4 of 14
marcus.mceachen

This has my vote also. Why not put it in the Application Options, or have a DWF/PDF setting dialog box. You should be able to still have the Options button there incase you haev it set for all sheets, but in a special case you may only want the first page. I like the ability to export to PDF, that way you don't need CutePDF writer type program. Come on Autodesk add a feature and the ability to configure that feature.
Message 5 of 14
~master

Don't give Adesk any ideas about what you like to have in relation to pdf.

They want you to use dwf and look at pdf as a curse.

All these little inconveniences are there to nudge you towards dwf.
Message 6 of 14
trevorauman

This has actually caused a delay in a few of our projects where we get a drawing or two in a fabrication set that are missing pages. At minimum it would be nice that the last pdf creation settings are retained as a default. I do not know that I agree with the negative thought that AutoDesk wants us to be frustrated with their software, but I do know that I can only do my submittal three ways in my industry, they are either .pdf or .dwg or paper and since it is against company police to send .dwg it leaves me with shipping 16 copies in papaer to the client or a single clean .pdf. If someone figures this out please let us know.

export pdf

export pdf multiple pages

export pdf defaults  

Message 7 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: trevorauman

There are many PDF creation applications out there (a quick search turned up dozens), from the expensive Adobe Acrobat to the free CutePDF.  I use the former at work and the latter at home, and both work well, though "you get what you pay for" is true here to some extent: Acrobat offers much more flexibility and configurability than the free version of CutePDF.

All of these applications set up a "printer" that captures your print output as a PDF file, and that's all the free version of CutePDF does.  Acrobat provides a significant suite of tools to create, edit, review and mark up PDF files, which is very useful at times.  I'd recommend investing in one of these applications if Inventor's built-in tool isn't doing the job for you.

Message 8 of 14
trevorauman

It is not that I can't print .pdf files. Inventor 2010 does a great job creating layered .pdf(s). I was going to write a macro, but for sake of time I have instead used my space pilot and customized one of the buttons to be "Print PDF" which is a custom command with the following keystrokes:

<Alt> F T P {Wait} {Wait} <Alt>+P {Wait} {Wait} <Down> <Down> <Enter>

WARNING: Before running the command make sure your cursor is in the lower right hand side of the screen becasue the mouse cursor will override the keystrokes when the "File" menu pops down.

Do not forget to use the wait otherwise it will crash inventor. Also, this is only for printing all pages and does not alter line weights or color, but you could easily add those in. If someone out there has got free time, by all means make us a macro and a pretty button.

Don't know why I didn't think of using the spacepilot before, hope this helps anyone who has a space pilot out.

Message 9 of 14
RobJV

Yes please!  Exact same request!

Thanks.

Message 10 of 14
Mark.Hopkins

Another problem is that italics fonts are changed to normal when exporting to pdf.

if Autodesk arent properly going to support PDFs, they should just remove the function and we all would print to PDF using a 3rd party programme.

Speaking of which, whats the best print to PDF tool for inventor?

Message 11 of 14
keithknow

I have also had trouble with the PDF "all sheets" option not being a default setting. I did a quick look and people already have macros to make default setting before saving as pdf in Inventor 2011.

The other problem is copying and pasting text into your drawing and then the PDF generation makes the text all squares.

Message 12 of 14
trevorauman
in reply to: keithknow

The all squares are a result of a font choice. Either change your font or use a different program to create the .pdf files. We used to use the Lucida font all of the time, but we dropped it and moved over to Calibri. 

Message 13 of 14
keithknow
in reply to: trevorauman

I agree it seems to be the font, just seems a little unfair after 5 years of using the same font I have to change it now.

Message 14 of 14
tech
in reply to: keithknow

Hi guys an Inventor add-in I found you might be interested in: http://mgfx.co.za/nutsandbolts/?p=31

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report