Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
Infoseeker
Message 1 of 20 (192 Views)

ITEM number - is it possbile to control it thru a part?

192 Views, 19 Replies
04-30-2012 09:02 AM

I just wondered if can I assign a particular ITEM number to a particular part, instead of relying on order in the assembly.

I unsterstand I can overrite it in BOM but can I have it controlled from the part, so any time I instert it into an assembly, this particular number in ITEM coulmn pops up?

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 20 (189 Views)

Re: ITEM number - is it possbile to control it thru a part?

04-30-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: Infoseeker

Nope... Of course I have NO idea why you would want that...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Infoseeker
Message 3 of 20 (185 Views)

04-30-2012 09:16 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

Well, our manufaturing facility wants the same items being always called out with the same number.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 4 of 20 (177 Views)

04-30-2012 09:57 AM in reply to: Infoseeker

Infoseeker wrote:

Well, our manufaturing facility wants the same items being always called out with the same number.

Dumb.. Thats what part numbers are for. An item number should NOT be a controlling number.

You really need to find out why they want that and then propose a better method to solve that problem..

Frankly like I said thats what a part number is for..

I suppose you could simply use a custom field and put an item number in there and then pull that into the parts list.

But it sounds like a nightmare..

Frankly I'm very happy with the method I now use for drawings in which I don't even show a parts list on the drawing nor item numbers.. All assembly people already have a "pick list" which they pull the parts for a job.. Well I got sick of really long parts lists/item numbers,etc.. So I just ditched the parts list and simply use balloons with the part number in them instead of an item number.  Its very easy to setup in the styles to put the part number instead of item number in the balloons. No manual work is required.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 64 bit

Infoseeker
Message 5 of 20 (173 Views)

04-30-2012 10:10 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

I agree with you but this is a system that is being carried over from autocad times...

Idea with a part number does not seem so bad. In my case thou, as a  value in a baloon I would have to use custom iproperty... Is that possible?

Some features are possible only for part number, like merging for example.

Infoseeker
Message 6 of 20 (165 Views)

04-30-2012 10:43 AM in reply to: Infoseeker

In styles editor I am trying to change property display to custom iproperty but it is stuck on ITEM. How to change it?

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 20 (163 Views)

04-30-2012 10:45 AM in reply to: Infoseeker

Infoseeker wrote:

I agree with you but this is a system that is being carried over from autocad times...

So was wiping your butt with a leaf before toilet paper was invented.. Thank god we changed that process.

Now is the time to fix/adjust silly/dumb processes.

An item number is NOT a controlling number.

If you continue down this path ALL you are doing is making more manual work/more areas for mistakes and just plain wasting time.

A part number IS a controlling number.

People aren't totally against change (most of the time).. You simply tell them that the process of ensuring a drawings item number ONLY relates to 1 specific part number is not possible with your current software.Then propose simply using the part number instead.

Windows 7 64 bit

Infoseeker
Message 8 of 20 (161 Views)

04-30-2012 10:46 AM in reply to: Infoseeker

Got it, you need to have only one property displayed in the property display box.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 9 of 20 (159 Views)

04-30-2012 10:50 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

Not to mention what method do you currently do to ensure an item number is never duplicated or taken by another part number?

If you stop using dedicated item numbers you wouldn't have to worry about that ever again either.

Windows 7 64 bit

Infoseeker
Message 10 of 20 (156 Views)

04-30-2012 10:57 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

Again, totally agree with you on that.

Asking for random numbers to drive an assembly, from Inventor point of vew is a nonsense.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube