Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITEM number - is it possbile to control it thru a part?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Infoseeker
365 Views, 19 Replies

ITEM number - is it possbile to control it thru a part?

I just wondered if can I assign a particular ITEM number to a particular part, instead of relying on order in the assembly.

I unsterstand I can overrite it in BOM but can I have it controlled from the part, so any time I instert it into an assembly, this particular number in ITEM coulmn pops up?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: Infoseeker

Nope... Of course I have NO idea why you would want that...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 20
Infoseeker
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well, our manufaturing facility wants the same items being always called out with the same number.

Message 4 of 20
mcgyvr

@Infoseeker wrote:

Well, our manufaturing facility wants the same items being always called out with the same number.

Dumb.. Thats what part numbers are for. An item number should NOT be a controlling number.

You really need to find out why they want that and then propose a better method to solve that problem..

Frankly like I said thats what a part number is for..

I suppose you could simply use a custom field and put an item number in there and then pull that into the parts list.

But it sounds like a nightmare..

Frankly I'm very happy with the method I now use for drawings in which I don't even show a parts list on the drawing nor item numbers.. All assembly people already have a "pick list" which they pull the parts for a job.. Well I got sick of really long parts lists/item numbers,etc.. So I just ditched the parts list and simply use balloons with the part number in them instead of an item number.  Its very easy to setup in the styles to put the part number instead of item number in the balloons. No manual work is required.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 20
Infoseeker

I agree with you but this is a system that is being carried over from autocad times...

Idea with a part number does not seem so bad. In my case thou, as a  value in a baloon I would have to use custom iproperty... Is that possible?

Some features are possible only for part number, like merging for example.

Message 6 of 20
Infoseeker

In styles editor I am trying to change property display to custom iproperty but it is stuck on ITEM. How to change it?

Message 7 of 20
mcgyvr

@Infoseeker wrote:

I agree with you but this is a system that is being carried over from autocad times...

So was wiping your butt with a leaf before toilet paper was invented.. Thank god we changed that process.

Now is the time to fix/adjust silly/dumb processes.

An item number is NOT a controlling number.

If you continue down this path ALL you are doing is making more manual work/more areas for mistakes and just plain wasting time.

A part number IS a controlling number.

People aren't totally against change (most of the time).. You simply tell them that the process of ensuring a drawings item number ONLY relates to 1 specific part number is not possible with your current software.Then propose simply using the part number instead.

Message 8 of 20
Infoseeker

Got it, you need to have only one property displayed in the property display box.

Message 9 of 20
mcgyvr

Not to mention what method do you currently do to ensure an item number is never duplicated or taken by another part number?

If you stop using dedicated item numbers you wouldn't have to worry about that ever again either.

Message 10 of 20
Infoseeker

Again, totally agree with you on that.

Asking for random numbers to drive an assembly, from Inventor point of vew is a nonsense.

Message 11 of 20
mcgyvr

nevermind

Message 12 of 20
jeanchile

I don't have the time to do a search of the forum right now but this has been covered before. Someone has a blog post about it so search the Autodesk Blog sites as well. The basic step is you have to create a custom iProperty that the parts list and balloons both reference. Good luck.

Inventor Professional
Message 13 of 20
Infoseeker

"People aren't totally against change (most of the time).. You simply tell them that the process of ensuring a drawings item number ONLY relates to 1 specific part number is not possible with your current software.Then propose simply using the part number instead."

This is exacly what I did.

I work for a big organisation that is at the point of transision from Autocad to Inventor, people come up with all kinds of weird ideas.

Message 14 of 20
Infoseeker
in reply to: jeanchile

Already figured this out.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 20
Doug_DuPont

I do something what you are asking for. I have a customer that wants Part number, Code Number and Sheet number on each part.

I find it easy to do that in the top assembly Bill of materials. Open Bill pf Materials and add a Custom iProperty Column for each custom property you want. Now fill in the fields in the part row. Now you can drag your custom iproperties down to all your other parts in your BOM just like you can in Excel.

Select done and save, and all this gets saves to all yours parts. Then I need to change my parts list to show the new iproperty.

Hope this helps.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 16 of 20
Infoseeker
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

I have all nesesery iproperties already incorporated in templates, sometimes I use BOM option as described by you.

Why would you want to have a sheet numer connected to a part?

Message 17 of 20
Doug_DuPont

A General Motoring customer of ours wants it that way. It goes back to the AutoCAD days of doing things. It adds more work to output it for them.

Douglas DuPont
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 18 of 20
PaulMunford

Is this the post that you were refering to?

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-creating-coordinated-bom-for-large-asse...

There are some tips about half way down the page on using bubbles to call out custom properties...

Paul

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 19 of 20
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: PaulMunford

Paul,

That is how we are doing it. That's a great step by step.

Douglas DuPont
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 20 of 20
PaulMunford

Cheers Doug 🙂

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report