Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPN View not shading correctly

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
eucci
1855 Views, 10 Replies

IPN View not shading correctly

I have seen other posts regarding this issue between 07-11. There was no resulution so I am posting a new thread.

I have an IPN exploded assembly in an idw file. The individual parts were created in a multibody solid and sent out to and assembly using the "make components" command. My normal way of working is to leave the source part with appearance sent to "default". One the bodies are sent out to individual parts i manipulate material and appearance in the individual IPT files. 

This is the problem..

The IPN file looks fine with the correct appearances when i open the IPN file. However, the iso view to the IPN in the IDW file does not shade correctly. It appears to shade all parts in the original gray "default" appearance. 

The idw with the linked files are about 7MB after packngo and zip. Attach won't work. Please provide alternate means to transmit file. In the mean time the best i can do is screenshots

Any help is greatly appreciated

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: eucci

Do you have your assigned colors saved in the assembly in a View Rep?  Could be the drawing view is not set to the Rep.

EDIT:

Ok,... just tried playing with this, and it doesn't seem to tbe the culprit.

Message 3 of 11
eucci

The "appearances" are set in each individual IPT file, via the BOM. The grey appearance on shows in the drawing view in the IPN. As a rule I avoid setting appearances at the IAM level.

Message 4 of 11
eucci

meant to say "only shows"

Message 5 of 11
ChrisMitchell01

Which version of Inventor are you running ?

Something to try:

• Edit that drawing view & remove the shading.
  • Save the drawing
  • Go to the parts/assemblies & change some of the appearances. Save.
  • Open the presentation & ensure you see these changes. Save.
  • Revert the changes in the parts/assemblies. Save
  • Open the presentation & ensure you see the original. Save
  • Open the drawing, update & then change the view back to shaded.

If you're on 2014 please install SP1, as there were some changes there in relation to how any referenced testure files were being linked, which may/may not cause issues when checking the drawing in to vault, if you use that.

If this doesn't work, you can send me the files - chris.mitchell@autodesk.com

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 11
eucci

I tried your recommendations with no effect.

In running INV 2014 SP1 and Vault Workgroup 2014.

I'll email the files to you.

Thanks

Message 7 of 11
ChrisMitchell01

Eric,

Thanks for sending me the files. I believe what’s going on here is that the Explosion view in the presentation was created without being associative to the design view in the assembly.

You can see this by opening the assembly & applying a color override to one of the faces of a part. Then when you go to the presentation you won’t see that color change in the presentation.

If you create a new presentation view, & ensure to check the box to make it associative & then create a new drawing view then the shading should be correct. Unfortunately there’s no way to switch an existing presentation view that was created without associativity to be associative.

Another thing noted with all the parts in the assembly is that they were derived from the master multi-body part, but with the option set to “Use color override from source component”. You can see this by opening one of the parts & editing the derive. What this will mean is that if you change the PRIMITIVE JBJ ROOM PLAN 38799.ipt” file & then do a rebuild all & update in your assembly, the color changes you have made at the part level will be overridden by what’s in the original source part for that body, ie many will go gray. This is doing what it’s supposed to, but can lead to strange downstream effects as we see on an update.

Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
-niels-

Not being able to make an ipn associative after it's been created is the main reason i posted on the ideastation here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Bring-the-presentation-environment-up-to-speed/id...

It's already been accepted, but i guess more votes wouldn't hurt.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 11
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: -niels-

You got my vote Smiley Happy

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
eucci
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris,

Is there a way to globally change the derive settings to uncheck "use color override from source component"? I continually have to edit the derive part setting of each individual part to uncheck this box. When using the "make components" command within the ipt context there is no way to control this variable. It appears that the only way to edit it is after part creation. Very tedious. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

Message 11 of 11
ChrisMitchell01

Eric,

For existing data there is no way to retrospectively/globally change what is used for the derive. For forward create though it depends somewhat on which version of Inventor you are using.

For Inv 2013, you can set a registry setting as discussed in http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/09/default-setting-for-the-option-use-color-o...

See Scott Moyse's discussion about it all here - http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/dreaded-use-color-override-source-component-a...

For Inv 2014, the last used state for that option is remembered, not quite a full application option though. So if it was last switched on, it'll stay on until you switch it off again & vice-versa.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report