Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR STUDIO - Custom Texture Mapping

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
FinnovationPD.com
1606 Views, 3 Replies

INVENTOR STUDIO - Custom Texture Mapping

Hello all, 

I am trying to use a custom "texture image" while creating a new surface style in Inventor Studio 2011. I am having issues with the origin and placement of these images (see pic). Notice how there is clearly a division in the wood grain. Ideally I would like to have this look like one smooth veneer of wood (in this case Sitka Spruce).  Does anyone have any ideas how to control the placement of the image to better align with my needs?

Changing the scale does not work, as it still comes off of the centerline.  The placement of the image also seems to have no relation to the origin of the part.  I'm stumped!

All help and suggestions appreciated!

Ian

We put your ideas into your hands.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: FinnovationPD.com

I seem to remember that you need to change the original image DPI. try that

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
FinnovationPD.com
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for the quick reply!  

To be clear, you are suggesting that I set the origin of the actual image outside of the Inventor platform, for example to use a graphics editor to control the images' origin?

We put your ideas into your hands.
Message 4 of 4
sam_m
in reply to: FinnovationPD.com

is it a seamless texture???  Usually get those lines where the texture repeats itself and it's not a seamless image.

afaik you can't specify origins or offsets with textures defined in the style editor - if it's critical then add the image (specifying its dimensions) to a sketch and decal it to the part???  But, obviously this would be annoying/complicated with multiple faces and complex shapes.

bit of info about how Inventor maps images through styles, know it's for an old Inventor but still probably valid:

http://inventorparts.com/Textures/mapping.html

back in the day of Inventor 11? (whichever version was 1st to have Studio) it could render images in styles but not decals, so had to constantly play with the colour-styles to get decals working - but this wasn't as straightforward as you would think.  Had to split the image into quadrants and shuffle them all around - seen a tutorial explaining it but can't seem to find at the moment.  Dunno if this could also be a reason for your seam down the centre of the part???  Might have to edit your texture before adding it to a style...  eg bottom image on this page: http://www.trainingtutorial.com/TAT5.htm (notice the btm-right face, how the image has been split into quadrants and swapped around so the centre of the image is now in the corners and the outer edges are along the centrelines.  Might have to do this to your texture in an image-editor before adding it to your colour-style to flip it back to the original).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report