Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL FILES FROM CADLEARNING

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jameslenane
938 Views, 14 Replies

INVENTOR CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL FILES FROM CADLEARNING

Downloaded certified professional files from Education community>free CADLearning and have them in my projects box,when I open one of these I first get a box in top right hand cornerng cannot open xml file and I had two ipt files open on a couple of ocassions and inventor just froze,its inv 2011 and has all service packs,first question the xml issue is this related and do I need some sort of link in sub folders for these to open?I basically have to turn desktop off to sort it,now I have inv 2012 aswell but as the files where for 2011 professional exam I put them in there which I thought made sense as I have passed the 2011 associate but it was late in the year,the only thing Ive noticed since having 2012 that when I use 2011 I get a message on screen about it reregistering with operating system,I think thats the message,any help would be greatly appreciated as Im worried that I will have to get rid of one of the inventors!

Thanks james

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: jameslenane

@jameslenane wrote:

Ive noticed since having 2012 that when I use 2011 I get a message on screen about it reregistering with operating system,I think thats the message,any help would be greatly appreciated as Im worried that I will have to get rid of one of the inventors!

Thanks james

This is normal behavior.  You should be fine with both versions installed.
Not sure if that is related to your other problem though - I will try to do a check and report back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
jameslenane
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks,one other thing,I didnt install the cadlearning files into 2012 as their 2011 cert pro exam files so I thought it made sense but its like 2012 has decided itself that it will be the default programme for opening files. It just told me on the site to put the cadlearning invs11 dataset into projects and thats it but it cant be as I can open some if not all part files but theirs ipj files their too that I cant open so you must have to make a link in the project box somehow, just watched some of the videos on the site and I either dont have those files or I cant open them as their in with those ipj files! Thanks and sorry for being a pain,regards James
Message 4 of 15
SBix26

The last version of Inventor to be used always makes itself the default version for opening Inventor files.  That's what the message about re-registering means.  Inventor registers itself with Windows so that when you right click on a file in Explorer (for example), you get Inventor-specific choices for what to do with it (Open, Pack and Go, Design Assistant, iProperties, etc.).  So each version of Inventor re-registers with Windows so that these all work with the current and last-used version of the program.

I haven't worked with the learning/certification files you're referring to, but it sounds as if you need to follow the instructions as written, but make sure that you are running Inventor 2011 and that it has properly registered itself.

Message 5 of 15
jameslenane

Thanks for your help,but it just says you can download the files and follow along with the videos,which I did but the very first tutorial and video which had vblock.ipt I was in trouble as cant find vblock.ipt for love nor money,so Im stuck before getting started,now I have heard some other people talking about missing files but that could just be nothing I dont know,the service is provided by a third party-4D Technologies,so Ive contacted their support desk to see if they can help,fingers crossed,you get to them through autodesk education community>CADLearning!

Message 6 of 15
jameslenane

I seem to have sorted some of the issues out with the cadlearning files,some of it is just badly presented as I found the vblock,they just dont tell where to look which is a sort of basic thing to do when you have so many files and the one you want is bundled in with something else but whats really got me this time is I just noticed my tutorial files which Ive had from the start has gone from the projects box so it wont find any of my work as Id done most of it in there or default settings so to say Im a bit downbeat is an understatement as Im not sure how to fix that or can I,and why did it happen which worries me,really need some help as Ive got in a right muddle and dont know why?

Message 7 of 15
jameslenane
in reply to: SBix26

I meant to ask how do I know its properly registered with windows,that its working or is there some way of checking?

Message 8 of 15
rajeshindi

I had this issue but for other reason. I have 2011 & recently loaded 2012 inv. but still I didnt delete 2011 as I am doing few projects and I want to finish them. But start new projects in 12. What I noticed is, we can't open both 2011 & 2012 at the same time.
Message 9 of 15
rajeshindi

Sorry, please read my previous reply as inv 2012 & 2013. Thanks.
Message 10 of 15
jameslenane

Thats odd as I can open 2011 & 2012 at the same time so not sure what the issue is there,but I will say 2011 started freezing on me with files I got from CADLearning from autodesk education communities and never had a problem before,so next I will try it on my own files,Id say you must have a registry problem of some sort as when I open 2011 it tells me to wait for it to register with windows:{,which is a pain and 2012 has now become my default software to open files and sometimes I dont want that but this is something I think you have to put up with when you have the two programs but the should work side by side no problem as I had 2010 + 2011 and never had any of these issues! 

Message 11 of 15
rajeshindi

currently I am working with inv 13 and tried to open 12.  please refer to the msg attached.  That's fine for me as i am not trying to work in both.  this is just a comment.

Message 12 of 15
SBix26

Opening two versions of Inventor at once is asking for trouble.  They are "competing" for the same resources, such as the right-click menus and other things.

Message 13 of 15
jameslenane
in reply to: rajeshindi

Thankfully I have not worked with both open,it just happened by mistake that they were both opened so I just shut it down,was working on a ipt file in 2011 and went to open another file and 2012 opened so just shut it down,is their a way of checking that 2011 is registering properly with windows as its only 2011 that does this not 2012 and I dont want to cause any problems,have it on a lenovo a310 ideacenter but once the funds are right I will put one on a laptop,want to get lenovo G570 as this has 2 gb dedicated graphics,8gb ram,750 hdd and a i5 or i7 processor and is a really good price for all that and never had a problm with what I have,picture is HD Aand have not seen better anywhere,didnt know that they came from IBM or they bought out IBM,we have an old one and the things bullet proof!

Message 14 of 15
SBix26

One way to find out which version is currently registered is to right click on an Inventor file (ipt, iam, etc.) and choose iProperties.  On the General tab, it reports which version it opens with, and that should be the currently registered version.  The Details tab reports the actual version that the file was last saved with, but the General tab simply reports which version of Inventor is registered to open that file type.

Message 15 of 15
jameslenane
in reply to: rajeshindi

Hi Sam,thanks for trying to help but I seem to be having so many issues Im getting overwhelmed,I opened 2011 just know and tried to open one of my tutorial files,no joy,they have gone from my projects box so cant get to any of my work??? So I opened one of the cadlearning files as I know their in the projects box and clicked,I opened the alloy wheel,a simple part,at first I get a dialog box top left,something about cant  open xml files but it opens part anyway,clicked on the I icon and clicked iproperties and it wouldnt open,another box opened and this is what it said,Plugin not available or not properly installed.Notify the system administrator that the instalation is incomplete DTCP.

I have no idea whats going on Sam as Ive been using this for over 7-8 months and no problems,when it gives me the message about registering and I click ok ,it turns of 2011 and then turns on 2012??? I am at a lost,cant get to my study work,dont understand system administrator and the DTCP,all I did was download certified professional files to help me with exam and you have to go onto autodesk education community for it,I need help to sort this one as it doesnt make sense,what do you think Sam?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report