Inventor General

Message 1 of 7 (151 Views)

INVENTOR 2011 BACKUP

151 Views, 6 Replies
09-26-2013 11:14 PM

Hi all

I will be reinstalling my INV2011 is there a way to backup then restore all my custom settings? Ribbon colors etc etc?

something like a *.ini or config file?

thanks

Wayne

Distinguished Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (140 Views)

Re: INVENTOR 2011 BACKUP

09-27-2013 12:35 AM in reply to: wayne

In Options there are Import and Export buttons at the bottom. It looks like everything has to be the same though in the new install as file paths etc are also saved in the xml file.

Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst

IV2014 SP1 64bit
Dell Precision T7500, Geforce GTX 480, DirectX11 306.97
SpaceExplorer 4.04, 3DxWare 3.12.2
Twin Intel Xeon E5506 2.13GHz, 12GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 3 of 7 (124 Views)

09-27-2013 04:03 AM in reply to: RobSinglehurst

Rob,

Have you ever tried reimporting these saved settings?  I ask because we are using 2012 and several of us in my department did exactly what you are suggesting here, but the import back in never worked.

I am asking because if you have tried it and had success I would like to know what you did differently then what we did.

Currently, I am taking screen shots of my settings to know what I currently have just in case I lose them.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2014
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Distinguished Contributor
Message 4 of 7 (121 Views)

09-27-2013 04:07 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Nope :smileyembarrassed:

I did try it once to import settings exported from work from home and it failed because of file paths etc. Probably not actually very helpful then.....

Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst

IV2014 SP1 64bit
Dell Precision T7500, Geforce GTX 480, DirectX11 306.97
SpaceExplorer 4.04, 3DxWare 3.12.2
Twin Intel Xeon E5506 2.13GHz, 12GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 5 of 7 (112 Views)

09-27-2013 04:30 AM in reply to: RobSinglehurst

That is why I asked you.  Because If I wasn't doing something correctly, then I wanted to know what I was missing.  Prior to actually trying to import these settings back in, I was right there with you.  Thinking this was the way to save the settings.

Obviously there is something wrong with this system and makes me wonder what the purpose of exporting and importing actually is!!!  At least I now know I am not alone in that this system has flaws.

So in answer to the OP's question, not sure if there really is a sure fire way currently to do this other then what I said in my first posting.

So with that, I decided to create an idea.  If nothing else, hopefully we will get some answers.

Please cast your kudos vote in support for it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Please-Fix-the-Export-and-Import-of-Settings/idi-...

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Mentor
Message 6 of 7 (100 Views)

09-27-2013 04:53 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I have exported and import settings successfully before. Though I would not recommend doing it between different versions as I experienced some issues when I tried that. If you just need to reinstall or are switching machines it should work great.

Also don't forget to export the customization options. All keyboard shortcuts, ribbon bar changes, and right click menu settings are separate from the applications options.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 7 of 7 (92 Views)

09-27-2013 05:09 AM in reply to: pball

When I have tried it, it was all on the same version.

We did the customization, keyboard etc.  We would select import, browse to where the settings file was and and execute.  Window would close and the settings never changed back to what the custom settings were.

It would be nice if some message came up that said "Settings imported successfully"

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube