Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR 2011 BACKUP

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wayne
332 Views, 6 Replies

INVENTOR 2011 BACKUP

Hi all

I will be reinstalling my INV2011 is there a way to backup then restore all my custom settings? Ribbon colors etc etc?

something like a *.ini or config file?

thanks

Wayne

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobSinglehurst
in reply to: wayne

In Options there are Import and Export buttons at the bottom. It looks like everything has to be the same though in the new install as file paths etc are also saved in the xml file.

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: RobSinglehurst

Rob,

Have you ever tried reimporting these saved settings?  I ask because we are using 2012 and several of us in my department did exactly what you are suggesting here, but the import back in never worked.

I am asking because if you have tried it and had success I would like to know what you did differently then what we did.

Currently, I am taking screen shots of my settings to know what I currently have just in case I lose them.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
RobSinglehurst
in reply to: Cadmanto

Nope Smiley Embarassed

I did try it once to import settings exported from work from home and it failed because of file paths etc. Probably not actually very helpful then.....

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: RobSinglehurst

That is why I asked you.  Because If I wasn't doing something correctly, then I wanted to know what I was missing.  Prior to actually trying to import these settings back in, I was right there with you.  Thinking this was the way to save the settings.

Obviously there is something wrong with this system and makes me wonder what the purpose of exporting and importing actually is!!!  At least I now know I am not alone in that this system has flaws.

So in answer to the OP's question, not sure if there really is a sure fire way currently to do this other then what I said in my first posting.

So with that, I decided to create an idea.  If nothing else, hopefully we will get some answers.

Please cast your kudos vote in support for it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Please-Fix-the-Export-and-Import-of-Settings/idi-...

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 7
pball
in reply to: Cadmanto

I have exported and import settings successfully before. Though I would not recommend doing it between different versions as I experienced some issues when I tried that. If you just need to reinstall or are switching machines it should work great.

Also don't forget to export the customization options. All keyboard shortcuts, ribbon bar changes, and right click menu settings are separate from the applications options.

Message 7 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: pball

When I have tried it, it was all on the same version.

We did the customization, keyboard etc.  We would select import, browse to where the settings file was and and execute.  Window would close and the settings never changed back to what the custom settings were.

It would be nice if some message came up that said "Settings imported successfully"

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report