Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW parts list

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kenbig
1053 Views, 9 Replies

IDW parts list

Autodesk Professional 2013

Maybe someone can get me on the right track here.

I have an assembly that has several sub assemblies and those sub assemblies also have sub assemblies. I would like to in one document show the entire assembly and all the details of the subassemblies over multiple sheets. On the first sheet I would like to show the entire assembly and balloon and list the first level sub assemblies. On the second sheet I would like to use a presentation view to show an exploded view of the entire assembly and list the parts that attach the subassemblies forming the entire assembly. I then would like to show the subassemblies on  a third sheet and further break them down and list and and balloon their parts and so on. What I would like to do in one document is to show and list all the parts and show how they are put together, but I only want to list the parts that are ballooned on each sheet.

What I find is that when I create a view and parts list on one sheet all is fine and good until I try to add other views and parts list on subsequent sheets. Then all bets are off on the first sheet it gets changed by what I do on the second sheet. I've tried using presentation view, design views and any other combination of functions I can think of.

So either I don't understand the fundamentals here or it is not possible to do what I want. Does anyone have any insight on this to share.

thank you

Ken Bignoli

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: kenbig

If I understand you correctly, this should not be a problem.  if you are placing a different subassembly on each sheet, they should each have their own BOM, which is where the parts lists come from.  I'm not sure how placing a sub-assembly on a subsequent sheet could mess up the parts list of an earlier sheet.

We do this on all of our jobs:  pages 1 & 2 reference the main assembly.  Subsequent sheets show the subassemblies with Parts Lists and Balloons.

Can you describe your exact workflow for creating each sheet... the main assembly and then what you do for the sub assemblies?

Message 3 of 10
kenbig

thank you for your reply,

I went back and recreated the situation I'm dealing with so I'm more sure of the sequence of events. This is hard to explain exactly but I'll give it another shot.

I first create a presentation view of the assembly totally assembled. I then use it to create a view on the first sheet of the drawing. I then balloon the objects I want to identify in that view. Then I create a parts list showing just those items I've ballooned. I've tried using the ballooned only filter to do this I've also gone into the parts list and changed the visibility to just show what I want. On the first sheet I only want an overview of the entire assembly ballooning just the sub assemblies. On the next sheet I want to use a presentation view to show an exploded view. So from the same assembly I create another presentation view to place on the second sheet. This entails  showing the fasteners and sub assemblies exploded for clarity. I then create a parts list to place on the second sheet that lists only those items I've ballooned on that sheet. When I go back and look at the first sheet I find that the parts list changes from only the top level items that previously had shown to include second level parts.

I guess my question is of fundamentals, am I doing or trying to do something fundamentally wrong?

This is what I want to do.

On one drawing with multipe sheets I want to show an assembly of sub assemblies. On the second sheet I want to show via an exploded view how those sub assemblies are put together to form the main assembly. On another sheet I want to break down the assembly into section views that are ballooned. On other sheets I want to show individual sub assemblies ballooned sectioned or whatever and they may be exploded views from more presentation views. Mostly what I want is that once I've set up a sheet and it looks the way I want it to I don't want subsequent sheets to change previously created sheets.

Please let me know if I can add any info to this for more clarity and thanks again for replying.

Ken Bignoli

Message 4 of 10
rhasell

Wow, that is a lot to put on one drawing set.

(Personal opinion, don't do that, Drawing files are BIG, also if something goes wrong, you have lost everything, and not just a small section of the data set. Exports become painfull as well, you have to re-name each sheet.)

Right back to your issue, I have read and re-read your question and am still not 100% sure what you are looking for, sorry, I don't think the Same structured BOM on multple sheets can have different configurations.

If you want a Structured Parts list as well as a "Parts Only" Parts list on the same sheet,

- Place the Parts list on the main drawing. (E.G. Structured)

- Create a dummy drawing and place the other parts list on the dummy drawing (E.G. parts only)

- Copy and Paste the Parts List from one drawing to the other. Do this as many times as you need to, applying different filters for each instance.

I hope this helps in some way.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 5 of 10
kenbig

Reg, Ok I tried what you suggested but that didnt work for me, same problem.

let me try to explain this again. This morning I created a drawing view with a complete assembly showing an overview (and assembly consisting of 5 sub assemblies and one part). I put a parts list up and then ballooned all the upper level assemblies and the one part. All well and good. I then on a second sheet put up a view of the entire assembly but this time I want to show how those subassemblies are put together. So I put up a parts list and expand the sub assemblies in the parts list, I then balloon the pertinent items (this is so I can show the fasteners that puts the assembly together). All well and good. I then go back and look at sheet one and now its parts list expands like on the second sheet and now one of the upper level parts now is ballooned not with it's upper level balloon number but with the number of the individual part in that sub assembly (a second level part in that sub).

This seems so simple to me conceptually  and impossible for me to do as I want. This is why I'm asking if I'm doing something fundmentally wrong.

Message 6 of 10
rhasell

Hi

I will run a test tomorrow when back in the office. In the interim what you could do is create multiple drawings.

If needed the easiest way to bypass page numbers is to create blank sheets, edit the sheet and select "exclude from print" drag and drop above or below your active sheet to manipulate the page numbering. (Delete Borders and title blocks to reduce file size)

There are ways to manipulate the balloon numbers via ilogic if the parts shown do not belong to the host parts list.

Hope I got it all, sent via phone.
Reg
Message 7 of 10
kenbig

This is not at all about page numbers the page number behave as expected.

It is about balloons and parts lists not behaving as I can imagine. All I want to do is have the parts ballooned in the drawing appear and remain the same in the parts lists once I've defined them. I dont want to manipulate or fool the system. On the first sheet I want to balloon out  and list those parts that are ballooned, the main sub assemblies. On the second sheet I want to balloon out and list the parts required to put the sub assemblies together, simple as that.

Maybe if I put together a simple assembly with sub assemblies that represents what I want to do I can better explain my mission and task.

In any case thanks for the feedback.

Message 8 of 10
rhasell

Hi

The page numbers is not the issue, I mentioned it because I don't have a computer in front of me to test your problem.

I suggested that you make MULTIPLE drawings. (In my opinion the best method anyway, each to their own)

The numbering was to help simulate a multi sheet drawing.
Reg
Message 9 of 10
kenbig

I guess it's time for me to give up on what I think should happen and do what I can make happen. thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Message 10 of 10
heyjude19

did anyone get a solution to this? I stumbled onto the same issue in 2014.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums