Inventor General

Mentor
kwilsonamerex
Message 1 of 27 (1,606 Views)
Accepted Solution

IDW not showing correct color styles

1606 Views, 26 Replies
09-05-2012 12:16 PM

I have not seen this issue happen in quite a while. I saw it on earlier releases pre-2013. But now after the Update2 build it seems my IDW's are not behaving properly.

Scenario:

1. Create model of a raw material (steel) stamped bracket. It receives its own part number

2. Create iam using the unpainted bracket and then assign a color (red) to represent a painted finish. This receives a 

new part number due to our MFG process.

3. Create iam model using other "painted" sub assembly models (step 2 for instance). New part number.

4. Create IDW but it shows the raw material (step 1) rather than the painted model. It should show the painted

assembly.

Regards,
Kenny

Corsair 900D ♦ ASUS Maximus VI Extreme ♦ i7 4770k ♦ (3) GTX 780 Ti's ♦ Trident X 32GB ♦ Samsung 840 Pro ♦ WD 1TB Black ♦ SG 1TB ♦ Corsair H100i ♦ Corsair AX1200i ♦ many SP120's
PDS 2014 ♦ Vault 2014 Pro ♦ CFD 2014 ♦ Bunkspeed Pro 2014 ♦ Octane Render ♦ Certified Autodesk Inventor Professional ♦ CAD Manager/Design Engineer
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 2 of 27 (1,587 Views)

Re: IDW not showing correct color styles

09-05-2012 12:42 PM in reply to: kwilsonamerex

You might have to set the view representation of the drawing view to the view rep with the color overrides.  If you didn't create a custom view rep, then your color overrides probably reside in the default view rep.  Edit the drawing view and look under the Representation area:

Drawing View Associativity.png

Select the correct view rep (default if you never created one), and click the Assosiative check box (highlighted in the image above).

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 27 (1,583 Views)

09-05-2012 01:32 PM in reply to: cwhetten

This should (could have and should going forward) be done with an ipart.

Create your steel part and make it an ipart.. edit the ipart table and add a new member and do a color override on that member..repeat for each color.. Then only 1 file is the controlling file.. You don't need multiple assemblies, don't worry about assembly color overrides, etc..

Then when for example you make a blue machine you simply "place component" and place the steel bracket into the assembly but the ipart table comes up during placement allowing you to choose which color/part number you want.

Then is so easy to make a red machine and a blue machine and a green machine all in 1 "iassembly" too..

Sorry.. I always hate it when I find out the "right" way to use Inventor after I've already done it 500 times in the wrong way just because I didn't know any better..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Mentor
kwilsonamerex
Message 4 of 27 (1,577 Views)

09-05-2012 02:35 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

I didn't ask about iparts. What you may consder being the 'right' way may not apply the same for everyone else. I'm familiar with iparts have always liked the idea of using them however I work with a diverse group of users with a huge gap in what and how they feel comfortable using Inventor. As dumb as that sounds, that is how it is at some places but that's netiehr here nor there or what this thread is about....

cwhetten, yes I checked my View Reps and have not applied any overrides. I have master and default. That used to be the 'workaround' in previous releases was to toggle between master and default and it would 'fix' itself most of the time. This is not the case with this latest build of 2013.

Regards,
Kenny

Corsair 900D ♦ ASUS Maximus VI Extreme ♦ i7 4770k ♦ (3) GTX 780 Ti's ♦ Trident X 32GB ♦ Samsung 840 Pro ♦ WD 1TB Black ♦ SG 1TB ♦ Corsair H100i ♦ Corsair AX1200i ♦ many SP120's
PDS 2014 ♦ Vault 2014 Pro ♦ CFD 2014 ♦ Bunkspeed Pro 2014 ♦ Octane Render ♦ Certified Autodesk Inventor Professional ♦ CAD Manager/Design Engineer
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 5 of 27 (1,564 Views)

09-05-2012 04:46 PM in reply to: kwilsonamerex

But you have applied overrides:

kwilsonamerex wrote:
2. Create iam using the unpainted bracket and then assign a color (red) to represent a painted finish. This receives a new part number due to our MFG process.

When you assign a color to an assembly component, you are changing the view representation.  You can't do this in the Master view rep, so you did it in the Default view rep.

So when you set the drawing view to use the Default view rep, and turn on associativity, it still doesn't show the correct colors?

Employee
Yijiang.Cai
Message 6 of 27 (1,562 Views)

09-05-2012 07:31 PM in reply to: kwilsonamerex

When using different design view to create drawing view, it works fine in my side. Maybe I missed some key steps. So if you attach the dataset or send it to my email river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com, it should be very helpful for us to further investigate it.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Mentor
kwilsonamerex
Message 7 of 27 (1,546 Views)

09-06-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: kwilsonamerex

River, I sent you an email with the dataset. Let me know if it behaves the same on your end. Thanks!

chetten,

There are no appearance overrides at the top level assembly. The only overrides are at the sub assy level. Changing the View Rep from Master to Default does nothing, even if Associative is checked. It is more strange that if I place the sub assembly into the same drawing it shows up red but the top level (which has no overrides) does not reflect it's sub assembly components correctly. It defaults to the raw material. See attached screen shots...

Regards,
Kenny

Mentor
kwilsonamerex
Message 8 of 27 (1,537 Views)

09-06-2012 06:37 AM in reply to: kwilsonamerex

Ok now I know something crazy was going on. I have somehow forced Inventor to fix itself and behave properly in the IDW.

This is what I did:

• Opened up top level assembly and changed the from Component Priority to Part Priority selection. One by one I clicked on each of the parts but did not change any material/appearance values. In other words I did nothing but select them.
  • I then went back to my drawing and now the View Rep behavior is working correctly.
  • I'm at a loss for why it somehow fixed itself when in reality I didn't do anything or make any changes. Just changed the selection priority type and that somehow fixed it. Bug perhaps?

See attached zip file of screen shot files.

Regards,
Kenny

*Pro
sbixler
Message 9 of 27 (1,514 Views)

09-06-2012 11:01 AM in reply to: kwilsonamerex

Using your current setup, making the subassembly (the one where the color is added) Inseperable (BOM attribute) should make the subassembly part # the only one available to the parts list.

Mentor
kwilsonamerex
Message 10 of 27 (1,504 Views)

09-06-2012 12:32 PM in reply to: sbixler

sbixler, I'm not concerned with parts lists or what this thread was about. This was some sort of graphical and View Rep issue. Nothing to do with BOM or Parts Lists.

Regards,
Kenny

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube