Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW not showing correct color styles

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
kwilson_design
8067 Views, 26 Replies

IDW not showing correct color styles

I have not seen this issue happen in quite a while. I saw it on earlier releases pre-2013. But now after the Update2 build it seems my IDW's are not behaving properly.

Scenario:

1. Create model of a raw material (steel) stamped bracket. It receives its own part number

2. Create iam using the unpainted bracket and then assign a color (red) to represent a painted finish. This receives a 

new part number due to our MFG process.

3. Create iam model using other "painted" sub assembly models (step 2 for instance). New part number.

4. Create IDW but it shows the raw material (step 1) rather than the painted model. It should show the painted

assembly.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
cwhetten
in reply to: kwilson_design

You might have to set the view representation of the drawing view to the view rep with the color overrides.  If you didn't create a custom view rep, then your color overrides probably reside in the default view rep.  Edit the drawing view and look under the Representation area:

Drawing View Associativity.png

Select the correct view rep (default if you never created one), and click the Assosiative check box (highlighted in the image above).

Message 3 of 27
mcgyvr
in reply to: cwhetten

This should (could have and should going forward) be done with an ipart.

Create your steel part and make it an ipart.. edit the ipart table and add a new member and do a color override on that member..repeat for each color.. Then only 1 file is the controlling file.. You don't need multiple assemblies, don't worry about assembly color overrides, etc..

Then when for example you make a blue machine you simply "place component" and place the steel bracket into the assembly but the ipart table comes up during placement allowing you to choose which color/part number you want.

Then is so easy to make a red machine and a blue machine and a green machine all in 1 "iassembly" too..

Sorry.. I always hate it when I find out the "right" way to use Inventor after I've already done it 500 times in the wrong way just because I didn't know any better..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 27
kwilson_design
in reply to: mcgyvr

I didn't ask about iparts. What you may consder being the 'right' way may not apply the same for everyone else. I'm familiar with iparts have always liked the idea of using them however I work with a diverse group of users with a huge gap in what and how they feel comfortable using Inventor. As dumb as that sounds, that is how it is at some places but that's netiehr here nor there or what this thread is about....

cwhetten, yes I checked my View Reps and have not applied any overrides. I have master and default. That used to be the 'workaround' in previous releases was to toggle between master and default and it would 'fix' itself most of the time. This is not the case with this latest build of 2013.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 5 of 27
cwhetten

But you have applied overrides:

@kwilson_design wrote:
2. Create iam using the unpainted bracket and then assign a color (red) to represent a painted finish. This receives a new part number due to our MFG process.

When you assign a color to an assembly component, you are changing the view representation.  You can't do this in the Master view rep, so you did it in the Default view rep.

So when you set the drawing view to use the Default view rep, and turn on associativity, it still doesn't show the correct colors?

Message 6 of 27

When using different design view to create drawing view, it works fine in my side. Maybe I missed some key steps. So if you attach the dataset or send it to my email river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com, it should be very helpful for us to further investigate it.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 7 of 27

River, I sent you an email with the dataset. Let me know if it behaves the same on your end. Thanks!

chetten,

There are no appearance overrides at the top level assembly. The only overrides are at the sub assy level. Changing the View Rep from Master to Default does nothing, even if Associative is checked. It is more strange that if I place the sub assembly into the same drawing it shows up red but the top level (which has no overrides) does not reflect it's sub assembly components correctly. It defaults to the raw material. See attached screen shots...

Regards,
Kenny
Message 8 of 27

Ok now I know something crazy was going on. I have somehow forced Inventor to fix itself and behave properly in the IDW.

This is what I did:

• Opened up top level assembly and changed the from Component Priority to Part Priority selection. One by one I clicked on each of the parts but did not change any material/appearance values. In other words I did nothing but select them.
  • I then went back to my drawing and now the View Rep behavior is working correctly.
  • I'm at a loss for why it somehow fixed itself when in reality I didn't do anything or make any changes. Just changed the selection priority type and that somehow fixed it. Bug perhaps?

See attached zip file of screen shot files.

Regards,
Kenny
Message 9 of 27
SBix26

Using your current setup, making the subassembly (the one where the color is added) Inseperable (BOM attribute) should make the subassembly part # the only one available to the parts list.

Message 10 of 27
kwilson_design
in reply to: SBix26

sbixler, I'm not concerned with parts lists or what this thread was about. This was some sort of graphical and View Rep issue. Nothing to do with BOM or Parts Lists.

Regards,
Kenny
Message 11 of 27

So any ADSK solution (hotfix) to this? It is beginning to become a sore spot within our engineering groups. We are on Inventor 'Update 2' and still having this issue.

Please see screenshot below for further explanation...

As you can see on my top level view that the bracket assembly does not show the correct color style and is reverting to a raw material it seems. However if I open the same exact bracket assembly model from within my top level assembly and place that bracket assembly as a new view the color style reflects as it should. In this case a red painted bracket assembly.

This was an issue in previous versions of Inventor sometimes. The 'trick' used to be to toggle the Representation from Default to Master and back to Default to 'fix' the issue. This worked 99% of the time. However since 2013 Inventor and the new styles/material library this seems to no longer work. 

idw issue.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
Message 12 of 27
karthur1

Could you share an example of what you are seeing (iam, ipt and idws)?

Message 13 of 27
kwilson_design
in reply to: karthur1

karthur1,

I can't share these files unless it's someone within ADSK (for security reasons). I also can't replicate this issue (thankfully) if I create all new components and sub asy files with 2013 Inventor. It seems this issue randomly arises from files created in previous versions of Inventor, this includes the components of assemblies. My workaround or 'fix' that I posted on page 1 of this thread no longer seems to trick the system (at that time I think I was on 2013 Inventor Update 1).

FWIW, when we went to 2013 Inventor, I did not do the migration of old design data and styles/mtl to the new 2013 library. I ditched the old completely due to the issues many were having with trying to migrate their old design data (styles/mtl) library. We use a single project file for everything and it points to only the 2013 design data. I didn't want to deal with the migration issues so many seemed to have so this saved me some steps starting off with a clean slate when we rolled out 2013.

This screen shot might help illustrate the issue I'm seeing....

STACKED.jpg

If I try and replicate this behavior from scratch in 2013 I'm unsuccessful and every step works as it should.

• I created a simple circle using steel raw material and steel default color.
  • Next file is an assembly where the steel circle is 'painted' red.
  • Next file that red painted circle is used in an assembly with other red painted components.
  • That sub asy is then used in a top level assembly with a slew of other components and sub asy's.
  • Final drawing (IDW) shows the correct color style and doesn't revert back to raw material (as it shouldn't).

See below...working example.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
Message 14 of 27
karthur1

It looks like you are doing everything right. From screen captures, its really difficult to say.

Hopefully AD can get to the bottom of it.  Please let us know what they find.

Message 15 of 27

Yea I'm at a loss too so hoping they will chime in. I may just submit this as a case to support since we are on subsciption to see if it will speed up a response. Thanks for your help and I will definitely post back any results we find.

Regards,
Kenny
Message 16 of 27

Well SP1.1 did not fix this problem. If anything it seems worse now.

Haven't heard anything back from ADSK either...

app issues.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
Message 17 of 27

OK I think I found another temporary 'fix'.

If I create a new LoD but don't make any changes, that seems to somehow force the IDW to fix itself. Don't ask me why or how but it does seem to fix this issue. It seems Inventor is getting confused which correct appearance or view rep to show for the drawing when you get a few levels up from a 'painted' IAM file. Seems to happen around the first sub-asy level or sometimes top level. Strange behavior but I hope they get this fixed in the next release. It's been an issue since 2011 IIRC but not near as bad as 2013.

Below is a scren shot after I created a new LOD in the assembly. This fixed my drawing. I then went back to my assembly and deleted the 'new' LoD. Drawing still showing the correct appearance so perhaps this is a fix. Crossing fingers LOL.

app issues LOD fix.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
Message 18 of 27

Never mind about the LoD fixing the issue. It's back again. This behavior is very strange and I can't place my finger on what exactly is triggering the issue. Some help or anyone else experience this??

Regards,
Kenny
Message 19 of 27

Bump to the top!!! Can anyone from ADSK help me? So far not getting any help.

Since my last post I have completely uninstalled Inventor Professional from the Suite. Re-installed Inventor and SP1.1. Issue is still there. 

We need a resolution from Autodesk on this as it's frustrating and the software is NOT behaving correctly.

Untitled-2.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
Message 20 of 27

Hi Kenny,

Many thank you to keep providing the feedback on this issue! And this is reproducible, and has been logged as 1473701 in our tracking system. This has been under investigation.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report