Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW--->DWG Multiple Sheet Tabs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2972 Views, 5 Replies

IDW--->DWG Multiple Sheet Tabs

Is there any way to cause Inventor to convert a multi-sheet IDW to an Autocaf DWG file that puts each IDW sheet on it's own tab in the dwg?

IDW ---Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet 3, etc

DWG - Tabs for Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet 3, etc ALL IN ONE DWG FILE

This so we can do batch printing and not have to maunually assemble dwg file with multiple tabs from the individual dwg files generated by Inventor - as near as I can tell, there is no way to get Inventor to NOT create a separate dwg for each sheet in the IDW???

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeffrey.sun
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mies07,

In current Inventor, there is no way to export multi-sheets into a single AutoCAD dwg file.

If the inventor dwg can meet your requirements, you can save the idw as Inventor Drawing Files (*.dwg). All the sheets will be saved in the single dwg.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Sun
SW Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

If I understand the question correctly, you want to take a multiple sheet set from inventor (IDW) and turn it into a multiple sheet set in autocad so say someone without Inventor could look at it? If this is  correct then yes you can.

Start Menu > Autodesk > Inventor > Tools > Task Scheduler

In there on the left hand side is convert IDW to DWG. Simply click it, start a new event, load all the files you want it to convert and it starts cranking them out into AC world. The only problem I'm having with this is that it will not turn them into regular lines in model space.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you - this is one step closer. However, as you observe, ("The only problem I'm having with this is that it will not turn them into regular lines in model space.") the process you outline yields blocks that are Inventor objects, and cannot be exploded unless you further export from Autocad using "Export Layout to Model Space Drawing". This yields a dwg in which you can explode the blocks to lines, polylines, etc, but still generates a separate dwg for each IDW sheet.

How do I get the idw geometry to an outside vendor as one dwg file with a tab for each idw sheet in a format that the non-Inventor possessing vendor can utilize to run their CNC machines without having to generate many, many separate files for each sheet of a multiple page idw? The file management for this is staggering...

If there was a way to go directly from IDW to the Task Scheduler "Convert IDW to DWG" process with an option for  Export Layout to Model Space Drawing so the result is each idw sheet on a dwg tab in the same dwg that are exploded Inventor Object blocks, that would work.

Multi-sheet IDW -->Multi Tab Dwg, (non-Inventor Object geometry)

Mike

Message 5 of 6
VinodBalasubramanian

Hi,

As Jeff pointed out, you need to use only Inventor Drawings to get all your model information in the AutoCAD. I don't think it is possible to do it directly from task scheduler at the moment.

You can log this is as an enhancement request in the product feedback form below,

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 6 of 6
m.reyes74B3T

nearly a decade late, but I made my own thread recently which solved it rather simply so in case anyone finds this first, try the following method. "SAVE AS Inventor DWG" rather than "export to DWG"

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/exporting-multi-sheet-inventor-idw-to-multi-layout-pap...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report