Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am confused as to why the fillet weld doesnt work properly

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
paula
7174 Views, 12 Replies

I am confused as to why the fillet weld doesnt work properly

i have 2 pieces of square tubing that are 90 degrees to each other, end of one is mated to the side of the other

why can i not create a full continuous filet weld at the joint, all around...  as attached, it looks like caca....

if i do it in real life, i would take the mig, and weld contiously and it wouldnt look like that below

ScreenShot001.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
blair
in reply to: paula

Inventor weld module is not that smart. Try using the "Gap-Weld" to fill in the gap.

Try butting two plates together with a flat surface and run a simple fillet without any prep, no problems on the shop floor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 13
chun123

try to change the fillet to fit the joint corner,if poosible can you provide the dataset for further investigation.

Message 4 of 13
paula
in reply to: chun123

i noticed that you are using 2 different sizes of tubing

try that with the same size tubing

Message 5 of 13
paula
in reply to: blair

i tried every configuration, and yes i gathered that the weld module isnt very smart lol

Message 6 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! There is always room for improvement in any given product. However, this particular case may not be as easy as it seems. If I understand the requirement correctly, the weld bead has to go all around. For outside faces, it looks OK. There should exist a solution to wrap around the gap and the corners. The tricky part is the inside. The fillet weld would have to undergo drastic convexity change in order to fill the gap and fillet the corners. The best solution I can find is using a groove weld to fill the gap and a fillet weld to fillet the corner. It still requires two weld features and the resultant weld beads are not continuous all around unfortunately.

If you know any CAD package can provide a better solution here, please let me know asap.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 13
paula
in reply to: johnsonshiue

simply speaking, it shouldnt be that difficult...because it is cosmetic...a true weld actually integrates the workpieces together

normally the beads are 45 degress to the "center apex" of the joint

it would almost be easier to be able to draw a base loop where you want the corner to be and have the fillet expand equally out 

and no, i dont use another package

Message 8 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Unfortunately, Fillet Weld is not cosmetic. It has 3D geometry controlled by parameters. For Cosmetic Weld, it can be done easily but it won't look as nice as in real world.

So, would you say if Cosmetic Weld can be created with a more realistic appearance, would it be a satisfying solution? The downside is the mass of the weld beads cannot be calcualted.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13
JDMather

Attach the files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 13
-Aaron-

The only way I was able to get the fillet weld to work like you specify, was to notch the frame member to the perpendicular one.  

fillet weld.png

I don't do this because we don't cope the ends of the square tube anymore.  

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: -Aaron-

On this pic it is a fillet becase you have a mate between faces, on your first ips there is a gap, so you need to use "groove weld" select one face, check chain so that you can do an all around weld, then in number 2 selct the other face, finaly select direction (a perpendicular line) and that should be the solution.

Check groove weld video on this page

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/...

Message 12 of 13
ccamara01
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

On this pic it is a fillet becase you have a mate between faces, on your first ips there is a gap, so you need to use "groove weld" select one face, check chain so that you can do an all around weld, then in number 2 selct the other face, finaly select direction (a perpendicular line) and that should be the solution.

Check groove weld video on this page

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-019B1B74-A92A-4761-BA4B-58A4583B1FDC-htm.html

He probably either figured it out, or gave up 4 years ago Smiley Happy

Maybe useful info for others though.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 8.1 Pro Workstation
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10 core, 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (4 GB)
64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
512 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ccamara01

hehehe i know I supposed so, but i was having the same problem then I saw this and i wanted to participate for further users. Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report