Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-Part Tables

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Richard-K
545 Views, 8 Replies

I-Part Tables

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to have the Schedule as an I-Part parameter of a flange. I'm trying to create a custom flange for use in the content centre and would like both size and ID to be picked from a drop down when placed into an assembly.

Since it's a flange not a pipe I can't use the standard tube & pipe authoring method.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated!

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Richard-K

@Kokoza wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to have the Schedule as an I-Part parameter of a flange. I'm trying to create a custom flange for use in the content centre and would like both size and ID to be picked from a drop down when placed into an assembly.

Since it's a flange not a pipe I can't use the standard tube & pipe authoring method.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated!

Thanks

First off, welcome...

I'm confused why you say you cannot use standard tube & pipe authoring for a flange?  You should have no problem with that, and can even add more metadata to the part once it is in the Content Center.

AutoCAD 2013; AuoCAD Electrical 2013; IV 2013 Professional: Tube and Pipe, Frame Generator, Content Center; Vault Professional 2013: Client, ECO

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

It almost sounds like you want to possibly take an existing flange from the CC and tweak it to fit your own needs.

If that is the case then all you need to do is edit the CC, create a new category and copy the flange of your choice into it.  Then make the necessary changes.  Am I saying what you are looking to do?  If so I can help you do this.

Also, is the existing flange in the CC have drop downs?  Typically there are what are called "key" properties that show lists from which the user picks from to get the part they need.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

We actually did a little of both for our flanges.  About half of them were made from existing iparts that were published, and the rest we took from existing CC tables and modified them to suit our needs.

Bottom line is, you should be able to make this work with no problems.  You got the two piping gurus here at your service, Scott knows what he's doing... and I've been able to muddle through as well.  😉

One of us will get you through this.  😄

Message 5 of 9
Richard-K

You're right, I'm trying to create a weld neck flange with a ring type joint facing. Ive taken and copied one from the content centre and created a table of parameters which specify the different sizes. 

The part I'm having trouble with is adding a second drop down for schedule which would influence the ID. I presume I need to make a seperate row for all of the different combinations of size & schedule, I'm just not sure of the best way to go about this 😞

It seems to me I would need to have a Schedule table nested in the parameter table.

Sorry if this isn't clear - 

Message 6 of 9
cbenner

I'm not sure how many schedules you need to add to your table, or how many different sizes,... but I think I would build the table in size groups (1-12 for example).  I would add a column for Schedule.  build one size group first... Schedule 40 for example.  Set Schedule as a "Key" column, so it will be selectable when you publish.  Set all of the ID dimensions as needed for that schedule.  Get that one group working, then publish to the Content Center.   Then (and this is just my method... may not be the only way), I would edit the CC family table with Excel (look for the Excel button in the upper left corner of the CC Family Table editor).  Once in Excel you can copy and paste that entire Schedule 40 (or whatever) group, and just start plugging in values for your next schedule group.  Keep repeating the copy and paste until you have all the groups you need.  Then save and close Excel, and you CC family table should reflect these changes.

If we did this all right, when you place this part fro CC, it should prompt you for both size and schedule (assuming you also set "Size" as a Key column.)

.... did I make this clear as mud?  Scott.... did I miss any steps?

Message 7 of 9
Cadmanto

If you already have this part copied over in the CC, as long as you are an admin, you can edit the CC, select that part and edit the family table.  Once the family table dialog comes up first add a column.

ft.PNG

Then once the column is added, make it a key column  ft2.PNG

and this should allow this property to be a selectable when you insert it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 9
Richard-K

Ok this all looks good - it was the route I was going down but hadn't thought of using a different column as the drop down! It seems so obvious now Smiley LOL

Thankyou so much for the solutions - I hope I can be as helpful as you guys one day!

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Not totally mud Chris.  But I think between what you wrote and what I showed the OP is in the right track.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report