Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use existing files and editing them without altering the original?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jdeacon91
233 Views, 3 Replies

How to use existing files and editing them without altering the original?

Hi there,

Im new to Inventor and am still trying to get to grips with the project function but have a basic understanding. I hve drawn a machine in one project but would like to use some of the parts/assemblies from my previous project and alter them slightly for my new one. i have made several copies of the the file in particular and copied it t seperate project folders that i have created and changed the current project working on but when i alter the part dimensions it still alters the original file in a different project that isnt active.

I would be really gratefully for any advice on clearing this up for me.

Thanks alot!

James.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

You can copy and rename the files with Design Assistant. Details of how to use this tool are given in its help section. Please see also this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/copy-inventor-part-assemblies-from-1-folder-to-other...

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: jdeacon91

The Inventor Project (.ipj) that you currently have active defines where Inventor looks for files.  So, after you have copied the files to the new location, be sure that the project you use to open them does not include the location of the original files.  Inventor will search the current project search paths for the files; if it doesn't find them, it will notify you, otherwise it just opens.  The key, though, is to make certain that the current active project doesn't include the original location in its search paths.

Message 4 of 4
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: jdeacon91

Another method is to copy all your files to a new location and temporarily rename the original folder.

Copy files from C:\Original to C:\NewLocation

Rename C:\Original to C:\_Original

Open every file in C:\NewLocation and resolve link to C:\NewLocation

Rename C:\_Original to C:\Original

Does that make sense?

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report