Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show dimensions on Inventor part

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
patrickmahoney7321
17443 Views, 7 Replies

How to show dimensions on Inventor part

I am tring to submit a bunch of parts to a machine shop and he needs them in a 2D format with dimensions and I dont know how to put them into that format. Help?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

What version of Inventor?

Start new idw or dwg file.

Place views.
Dimension.
Done.

This is usually covered in training.
Inventor is an expensive program and deserves (requires?) training.

I suspect there are some examples in the Tutorial files if you have to train yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8

I got Inventor 2011 through FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition) so I haven't gotten any "formal" training. Could you explain that in more detail? Would this require making a new part?

Message 4 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: patrickmahoney7321

What you have created so far is a model.  Now you want a dimensioned drawing of that model.  

Start a new file, this time using the Standard.idw (= Inventor drawing) template.  Now place a view (first icon on the left), and this will ask you to identify the file containing the model you created, and allow you to pick which view you want to start with.

You can then project other views from the first one, and add text, dimensions, symbols, etc.  This is fully associative to the model, so that changes you make to the model are reflected in the drawing.

You really, really need some training, though!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: patrickmahoney7321

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/2144-Tutorial2144/2145-Inventor2145/2251-Drawing...

Check out the tutorial linked above. It should give you the basics on how to make/create drawings.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

If you still have trouble after going through the suggested tutorial - attach one of your ipt files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 8
patrickmahoney7321
in reply to: SBix26

I haven't been able to find anyone to give me real training is there anyplace I can go or someone to talk to about training?

Message 8 of 8

Where are you located?

What about your FRC mentor?
Have you gone through the Help>Tutorials?
Search Google for Rob Cohee Inventor Youtube.
You might start here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Also, there is a rather extensive set of free videos linked from here

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity  I would post the direct link here, but I don't think they protected it very well and I think it is intended for students only.  Email me if you can't find it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report