Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set ANSI Metric M Profile as default thread type in Inventor 2010?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4566 Views, 8 Replies

How to set ANSI Metric M Profile as default thread type in Inventor 2010?

I'm looking for a way to set the default thread type for the Standard (In.) part template in such a way as to make the ANSI Metric M Profile the default thread type when creating threaded hole features.

Is there a way to do so?

Tips, suggestions and errata are most welcomed!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

Check out this article on Steve Bedder's Blog:

Guest Post: Autodesk Inventor Hole & Thread Data

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thank you so very much for your quick reply!  The article you pointed me to is exactly what I was looking for!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Cheers!

Jim Strenk

Message 4 of 9
PaulMunford

Glad I could help!

Cheers Jim - same to you 😉

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

This is something that has long irritated me; I would have thought it reasonable that the simple act of setting units as millimetres would be sufficient to make it obvious that imperial threads wouldn't be wanted as a default.

So I jumped at the chance to do the fix in the link above. However, as so often, it seems things are never quite that simple. I closed Inventor, unticked the files' read-only property, edited them as suggested, saved and restarted Inventor. Reader, nothing happened!

I suspect the key to this lies in exactly "which" files one edits. A quick search on the C drive of my work PC revealed around a dozen or so files called 'thread.xls' (and none of them were non-related files).

We are using IV2013 and Vault 2013. I found another set of files at C:\Vault Workspace\Design Data\XLS\en-US, and tried editing these in the same way, thinking Inventor would take its data from the Vault (I know all our templates and drawing borders etc are kept in the Vault). Still without success. The first set I tried, by the way, were at C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\XLS\en-US.

The piece in the link talked about looking at the project file to find the right path. I have tried to do that, but don't see a detailed path defined. Can anyone elaborate and confirm exactly which files required modifying, please? Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
SBix26

In the Project Editor, expand Folder Options and see what it says for Design Data (Styles, etc.).  If it says [Default], then look at Application Options, on the File tab (this is the Default definition).

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Stil haven't got to the bottom of this.  Folder Options under Projects in Inventor gives me the path

\\[Company server name]\Inventor Standards\2013\Design Data.

Now if I go into Vault to look for these files to check out and edit, the best I could find were files that exported to C:\Vault Workspace\Design Data\XLS\en-US\thread.xls etc.But I have edited theses files as suggested, checked them back in, and re-started Inventor, and it has made no difference whatsoever.

Message 8 of 9
SBix26

Sounds as if files are a bit of a mess there.  I can't really help much more without actually looking at your computer-- you have to somehow figure out which Design Data folder is actually being used.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 9 of 9
Paul-Mason
in reply to: SBix26

Edited 28/01/14 @ 15.50 GMT 

1) Did/have you renumbered ALL the other threads to +1 of the default number's as in the file supplied ?

2) Try the attached file it has been reworked so that ANSI Metric should display as default, also note the renumbering of all the others, there are also some additions to the original default such as BSW and BFS threads and a few more.

Also the three locations where the "Thread.xls" resides and where you will need to copy the amended file to are :-

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 201*\Design Data\XLS\en-US

C:\Users\user name\Documents\Inventor 201*\IV Extra Textures\Textures\Library

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 201*\Bin\_NewStylesLibrary

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report