Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open Inventor idw file only? (Inventor 2012)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
allenliuyy
3084 Views, 5 Replies

How to open Inventor idw file only? (Inventor 2012)

Everytime I want to open idw file only in one folder, it comes with dwg and idwfiles. I have to identify the idw files from many dwg files, sometime I just opened dwg file due to the same name with the idw file. (For project purpose, I need to save idw and dwg file in the same folder).

I hope I can open idw files only as I choose to open iam and ipt only, and remove *.dwg from File of types (*.dwg; *.idw).

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Do you by chance use Vault Workgroups?

If so, you can simply filter the display to only listing the .idw and open from there.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 6

I am not using vault.

I wish the Inventor developer team could consider if they can take out the *.dwg from (*.dwg; *.idw). There exists a file type *.dwg already, I do not know how much benefit for putting them together. For me, so far only brings me headache.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6

That was the first thing I checked on before I replied.

I too had hoped you were able to select just one of those in the file type pull down.

About the only other idea that I can think of off-hand would be having to manually type the file name in.

A pain, yes, but it would solve the issue you're having kinda sorta.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 5 of 6
cwhetten
in reply to: allenliuyy

Once you filter it down to *.dwg and *.idw, you can click on the Type column to sort by file type.  This will group all DWGs together and all IDWs together (see attached image "Drawing Type.png").  In order to see the Type column, you will have to set your file view to show "Details" (see attached image "File Details.png").

It also helps to have windows display file extensions, so you can see the .dwg or .idw.

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 6 of 6
allenliuyy
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks, Jim.

I just want the program developers to make users life easier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report