Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain the center of mass of more than one subassemby

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
767 Views, 9 Replies

How to obtain the center of mass of more than one subassemby

Hi, we want to obtain the center of mass of two or more subassemblies within an assembly. Could you please let us know how to do it? The subassemblies may or may not be connected to each other directly. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you talking about this?

cg.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

In Inventor its termed Center of Gravity and it is on the view tab on the visibility section. As long as everything is within one assembly, it will calculate your center of mass. In the drawing you can select the view and choose to show the CoG. Be aware that it shows as a tiny crosshair, so is not easy to see if you don't know where to look from the assembly.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes but Inventor does not seem to be able to find the COG of a combination of subassemblies. For example, I want to find the COG of two subassemblies (knee and an ankle) with respect to the pelvis (the root of the overall assembly) of a dog. How do i do that?
Message 5 of 10
Cadmanto

If you are talking about doing a COG between two sub assemblies within in one main assembly it can't do that as far as I know.   Unless there is an iLogic rule that would do this.

The COG command I showed you in my first posting only does the overall model.

If you are talking about something different then what I described then please provide more detail.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

It calculates the CoG for multiple sub-assemblies within a main assembly for me just fine.

Message 7 of 10
graemev

Create a new LoD; supress everything else; (save, most likely, because why not?); iProperties:Physical:Update and when it pops up with a warning, select "No" and it will calculate data for the current LoD.

Can't say I specifically remember doing completely disconnected parts or subassemblies, but it has always done the job otherwise, so I would expect proper results.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: graemev

What is LoD? To clarify the situation. I have a model of a mechanical dog in an assembly file. The model consists of subassemblies such as front and hind legs, body, neck and head, tail, etc. I want to find the COG of two subassemblies (knee and an ankle of the front left leg) with respect to the pelvis (the root of the overall assembly) of a dog.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

LoD is Level of Detail. Whenever you suppress a part or assembly in Inventor it creates a LoD view. Suppress all subassemblies but the ones you want and run the CoG (Center of Gravity) from the view tab.

Message 10 of 10
torbjorn

Maybe try the following: In the assembly, right-click on the desired sub-assembly, iproperties->physical. I believe the CoG you see here is related to coordinate system in the assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report