Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model this object...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
GSE_Dan_A
724 Views, 9 Replies

How to model this object...

Attached is a picture of a surface that a client provided.  I would like to model the tooth that is shown in the pictures.  I am having problems understanding how to achieve this result.  If anyone can give me pointers or what tool I should be using I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Dan

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Attach the ipt file here of what you have been able to complete so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
IgorMir

Hi Dan,

Here is a quick version. IV2010 format.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 10
GSE_Dan_A

Igor I appreacite your help but the model is not quite how it should be done.  The tooth is sloped on an angle slightly.  I have attached the ipt of the tooth (surface)
JD - I don't even know where to begin... Ive tried a few different methods with no luck.  I just need a starting point or a few instructions and then I think I can create it.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 10
GSE_Dan_A

*bump*

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 6 of 10
JDMather

See attached (I guestimated the dimensions).

(The Alias Freeform edit (Fusion) on Surface 10 was an accident because some COMPLETE IDIOT at Autodesk put Edit Form at the top of the Right Mouse Button list).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD! This will give me a good idea of what was done in order to achieve the desired results.  Funny you should mention that about Fusion, a few employees were discussing how terrible it was that they put Edit Form and Edit Feature so close together (Edit Form being closer to the top for whatever reason).  I don't know why they don't have a "Are you sure you want to open this program" warning before proceeding.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 8 of 10
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: JDMather

Now I am trying to understand the work flow.... you have at the beginning the Coil feature.  This is to establish that top surface in order to extrude the body to correct?  After seeing this, I just got one of those AHA Moments and the light bulb went on (or flickered in my case!)  I appreciate your guidance good sir!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@GSE_Dan_A wrote:

This is to establish that top surface in order to extrude the body to correct?

Yes - I assume the idea was for a helical face for mating part to ride (looks like a one-way clutch rachet).

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
M.Peppel

Hi Dan,

find my solution attached. (Inventor 2012)

cheers

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report