Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make 2D drawing from an assembly perfectly?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brizone
4177 Views, 6 Replies

How to make 2D drawing from an assembly perfectly?

Hello guys this is my first question on this forum..

When i'm trying to create 2D drawing from an assembly, the assembly isn't straight (aka tilted)

so when i load the drawing with that assembly, it isn't perfectly straight

Here's a picture (or two):

Inventor fail.PNG

Inventor fail 2.PNG

As you can see the assembly (as well as its projection on the drawing paper) isn't straight..

so how to make it perfectly straight?

i'm a newbie in terms of CAD

Many thanks in advance..

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mdavis22569
in reply to: brizone

2 options ... make the assembly straight ..or:

Go to your IDW ..

Go to the cube below the Orientation

From there it'll take you to the assembly. Use the look at command to get to the face and straight view you want ...hit the green check mark up top and you should be all set

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
admaiora

Hope that it can helps you

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-Assemblies-Aligning-Model-with-XYZ-Axis-and-...

DOn't forget when you are in the assembling phase to orient correctly your first component and grounded it, and don't forget to sketch consistently with your design oriented with the x and y  and z sketch axys

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

Generally speaking, if you create your parts around the origin planes beginning with your first sketch, and then also make sure your assemblies are built (whenever possible) around the origin planes... this should not be an issue. Occasionally it cannot be helped with really oddball geometry so Autodesk gives you the option of setting a custom view.  This can be done when you place the view, or by double clicking on a view after it has been placed.  Look for the change view orientation button:

cust1.png

That takes you out to your model where you will have this toolbar:

custom.JPG

Use the Look At (as mentioned in another response) to select a face or plane in your model that IS square to the world.  The model whould reorient itself to that face.  Choose Finish Custom View and you will be returned to the drawing.  your view should now be square as well as any projections.

Good luck.  I have to ask.... have you had much training in Inventor modeling?  Not trying to be judgemental, we were all beginners once,... but the basics are very important.

Message 5 of 7
ampster402
in reply to: cbenner

Relating to what others are stating about grounding the 1st part you place into an assy and developing your models around the default work planes...be aware that Autodesk changed something recently within the last 1 to 3 versions (we don't update to every version that is released so I don't know when this happened) where in the past the 1st part you placed into an assy was grounded by default.

They have now disabled that ground 1st part option so depending on your modeling habits, you may want to go in and re-enable that option.

Message 6 of 7
SBix26

When placing the first component, right click and select Place Grounded at Origin:

Place Grounded.png

After placement, if you discover that your assembly is not grounded, use the Ground and Root Component tool from the Productivity panel:

Ground & Root.png

Hope this helps,

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 7 of 7
brizone

That's an awesome replies for such a simple question

i have to give two thumbs up for this forum..

Yeah, apparently i forgot to set the base to "grounded" so when i moved it around abit sometime ago it tilted..

I remade all the assembly and managed to get it straight

however, i'm very interested in trying the methods you guys posted above in the future

Again, many thanks in advance Man Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report