Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get orthographic views from a 3d model?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
15267 Views, 22 Replies

How to get orthographic views from a 3d model?

Hi.
I have modeled a part (*.ipt file) in Autodesk Inventor 2011, and now I want to get the orthographic views of it, so that I can send it to manufacturing. But the problem is, in the help, the procedure is given only for drawing files and not for 3d (*.ipt) files.
So can you please help me out?

Thank you
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

You may need some training.  You create a 2D drawing with 'orthographic' views of your 3D model.

Message 4 of 23
JDMather

In the real world a part is a part
an assembly is an assembly

a drawing is a sheet of paper with 2D views to represent the 3D part or assembly.

A drawing is not a part or an assembly - it is a sheet of paper.

The people out on the shop floor have no trouble understanding this concept.

In Inventor a part is an ipt file.
In Inventor an assembly is an iam file hyperlinked to ipt files.
In Inventor an drawing is an idw or dwg file with views hyperlinked to the ipt or iam.

For some reason, AutoCAD users have trouble with this concept and exhibit undue concern about file managment. (create a folder or use Vault - it is all 1s and 0s)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 23
msklein
in reply to: JDMather

But JD It's even worse than that is, it's their managers who had a had time even understanding Acad. Ask most Acad users or managers what's "Paper space vs model space "  and when did Autodesk bring out that concept around 94. Or try and explane to an old Autocad manager that the model is like the King as compared to the drawing and all things come from the model. Even as our end product is paper if you don't keep and save the models there is no drawing for the next change. Or the lack of understanding of how important that the parts list is tn the drawing, weather or not you actually put it on the paper or off to the side because you're company doesn't use drawing parts lists.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

Hi.

First of all, I am very sorry for a very late response, which is due to some difficultiy in accessing the net in the place I am currently staying(temporarily).

By the way, what I wanted to know is that I have modeled, say a trolley, in Autodesk Inventor 2011, as a part file.

Isometrric view o the trolley

Now, I have to get the side and top views and give it to the fabrication department, which has to be in a 2D format.

My problem is in getting these views.

From the model, I tried to go for top and side views, but when viewed so, it does not show all the details clearly (for example, if there is a hole in the inner part, it does not indicate it by dotted lines, ....), and moreever it is not in a line diagram format.

So, can you help me out on getting these drawings?

I hope that my problem is clear now.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Have you already created the 2D IDW or DWG file, and place the views in that?

Message 8 of 23
cbenner

If you have already created a drawing... is it the view orientation that you cannot get?  If so try the "Change View Orientation" button in the Drawing View dialog box.  it allows you to set a cutom view for your base drawing view, you can then project form there.  See Screenshot "View".

If your orientations are ok, but you cannot see the hidden lines of holes, as you mentioned, select from that same dialog box the "Hidden Line" button under "Style".  Placing your base view with hidden lines will cause all projected views to show them as well.

Go to Inventor help and use the Search tab, search for Drawing Views.  A font of knowledge in there for what you want to do.  Good Luck.

Message 9 of 23
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi.

So, can you help me out on getting these drawings?

I hope that my problem is clear now.

Thank you.

Sure, attach the files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

Still appears you need some training.  Create an Inventor DWG file, and place your orthographic views.  Its as easy as that.

Message 11 of 23
blair

If the Trolley in real live is made up of a number of pieces, it should be modeled this way in Inventor. It should be modeled of a number of IPT part files which are assembled in IAM assembly file.

A number of users use the single drawing to single part approach to using Inventor (useful in large models/assemblies). Smaller assemblies can be detailed within a single IDW with views associated with the final assemble and views of the individual parts for part-level details.

Sounds like you created a Trolley within a single part environment and are now having problems trying to make a number of your details visible. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

No, I directly modeled in Autodesk Inventor in ipt format.

Once the software is open, I pressed ctrl+N and selected standard (mm).ipt file and modeled in it.

So, if I do in this way, won;t it be possible to get the drawing views?

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

To the extent I tried, I did not know how to get the screen that you have got. Was that screen avaliable for a ipt file?

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

I am still not getting it.

I will attach the file and please upload the same after getting the drawing views, sir.

I am not able to attach more than 3 files. Even if you say for 1 file, it will be sufficient sir.

Thank you very much.

Message 15 of 23
blair

The attached picture shows a assembly. It is make up of a number of parts IPT and sub-assemblies IAM to create the large assembly IAM.

One of the main trailer frame rails is a IAM. It is made up of 3 IPT files. I can create a detailed drawing IDW of each of the separate IPT files as well as a drawing of the frame.

Each crossmember is a IAM file that consists of 3 IPT files, the 2 end plates IPT and the main tube IPT.

This allows me to have detailed drawings for separate parts and sub-assembles rather than trying to create everything in a single IPT file.

If you posted a screen capture of your model we would probably have a better understanding of your problem.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Hi.

I have attached the screen shot.

Thank you.

Message 17 of 23
blair

Thanks for the parts, as figured you are trying to model everything in the IPT environment. Your HANDLE BASE should be a assembly made of of 2 IPT files. The first would be the angle-iron by it's self (should be using the Content Center) for it and a second IPT file of the solid shaft.

The MAIN BASE should be a IAM file as well with separate IPT files for each of the perimeter angle-irons (if each of the side-opposites are different) and a IPT file for the plate cover and an additional IPT file for the rib.

Read up on Assemblies.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 23
blair
in reply to: blair

You can always create a sub assemble for each of the handles and then when you place them in your main assemble they will be treated as a single item (you can still edit each part/IPT).

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 23
JDMather

It appears that you are using the student license of Inventor 2011.  Is that correct?
Are you taking a class to learn how to use the software?  Has your instructor covered how to constrain sketches and how to create 2D drawings from the 3D model?

I notice that your sketches are not constrained (not even any dimensions)?
How did you create exact sizes without dimensioning?

You might start by reading this document  http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Message 20 of 23
JDMather

Ask your instructor to show you the Sweep command.
You could have done these 7 features (see attached) with one Sweep feature.

Extrusion 10,11, 12 should be done with one extrusion.

The entire part could be more efficiently modeled with only 3 or 4 features.

To attach an entire assembly here place all of the part files and the assembly file in one folder (you should already have this).

In Windows Explorer right click on the folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. 

Then attach the resulting *.zip file here rather than individual files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report