Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create sketch geomerty that can be used to define planes, axes and points

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
AndrewBeekman9108
909 Views, 10 Replies

How to create sketch geomerty that can be used to define planes, axes and points

This is probably a very basic problem that hopefully has a simple solution.  I am using projeted and sketched geometry (2D sketches) in assembly space to create lines/ points that I intend to use to define planes and axes. The problem I have is that nearly all the geometry I create (lines and ponts in 2D sketches) is not "selectable" when I try to create planes or axes.  I  cannot even put a work points "on top of" my sketch points.  Why are my sketches not usable in the assembly space?   Since the components in my model are just two extruded rings I don't ahve any linear edges I can select to make this work/ define planes.

Thanks for the help.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Just wondering.

When you try to use these sketches in your assembly are you working in "Model View"

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11

I am in the asembly view as opposed to part or sketch view.   I am in the view that presents the "place" or "create" options for parts in place and the option to create work features in the 3d tab.  The geometry I wish to "use" is created on sketch planes.

Message 4 of 11

Andrew,

While you are in the sketch, right click in the drawing to bring up your menu options. In the lower right of the wheel there is an option called "Project Geometry" select this and then select what ever you want to use for referance as it will be available. remem that this created a referance to the part or assembly you used so depending on how you prefer to do things you may want to break the referances after the new model is fully defined.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 5 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he is creating a sketch at the assembly level (an assembly sketch), but no elements of this sketch are selectable to define work features.

This issue just came up yesterday for one of my colleagues, and we'd like an answer, too.  How can one define an assembly work feature using assembly sketch geometry?  If not possible, why not?

Message 6 of 11
AndrewBeekman9108
in reply to: SBix26

sbixler- you are correct, we have the same problem/ question.

With regard to the project geometry response, the project geometry command is not available in the "assembly" space.  I was able find somewhat of a work around in that if I start the "create a part in place" command and generate the sketch planes and points that I need to create that 1 part I am able to reference them for creatation of axes and planes.  The axes and planes created are not selectable outside of the one part though so they need to re-created if needed in for generation of a 2nd part. 

Message 7 of 11

Andrew,

You should be able to select your sketch geometry in the assembly to create planes or work axis. Dont think you will be able to select the circle, but you can select the center point.  If you need a plane tangent to the circle, in you sketch draw a line from the center of the circle, to the tangency point.  You can then select this point when you are in the iam.

Is your sketch visible in the iam?  Watch this video

If this doesnt help, post a picture of what you are doing.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault Basic 2013

Message 8 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: karthur1

He's creating the sketch in the assembly, not in a component part.  Creating it in the component part is a workaround in some cases, but may not be possible in others.

Message 9 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: SBix26

Oh...creating the sketches in the iam environment....wont be able to create work planes/ Axis from those....

Sorry.

Message 10 of 11

I'm curious what purpose creating sketes in the iam enviroment would serve if not to create reference geometry to create/ position other components?  I may be missing something fundamental here but that seems like it would be the main reason this command is available in iam?

Message 11 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: AndrewBeekman9108

Primary purpose is to create features at the assembly level: holes, cuts, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report