Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create connecting flanges between sheet metal parts

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
zachsweeney
1866 Views, 7 Replies

How to create connecting flanges between sheet metal parts

I want to create the funnel by connecting 4 separate sides with flanges. In the attached file, I created a funnel for a hopper using the lofted flange feature.  I then ripped the corners. After that I created overlapping corner seams and then attempted to ad flanges.  Two of the four flanges have errors -- they contact the other side of the funnel.  Is there a way to quickly create flanges on the front and back pieces that overlap the side pieces so that the four sides can be riveted together? 

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: zachsweeney

Hi! I see two problems with the sheet metal part causing Flange6 to collide with the adjacent flange face. First, the angle is not precise enough. It should be 180-128.239353134 deg. Second, the gap is not wide enough. I would make Flange6 a 0 deg Flange and protrude it a bit (1.5* Thickness). Then create the angled flange to avoid collision.

Could you try it and see if it works?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 8
zachsweeney
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks so much for your help.

Playing with the length of the 0 degree flange and the corner offsets I can get the flange to match up.  I can't help but think I am taking the long way around, though.  Is there not a more direct procedure for moving from a lofted flange to 4 separate sheet metal parts that are connected with flanges.  It is a pretty common assembly:  large sheet metal  boxes or hoppers with sides made from separate parts and riveted together, funnels (like this example), bins, chutes, etc.  We happen to make all of these, so I need to figure out the best solution for doing this.

I have attached 2 files.  The first, AFC425-FUNNEL is an assembly that I derived from the original flat patterns of the funnel I'm trying to model.  I designed this years ago in 2D and I've found that the parts don't match well in the 3D environment.  The second file, 0-fun-loft, is the lofted flange that I modelled in 3D in an attempt to create a better component to replace my patched together 2D part funnel.  What I want is to create a component that meets the fit requirements of the lofted flange (0-fun-loft) but is created as 4 separate panels that connect together like the AFC425-FUNNEL assembly.

Is there some direct process in Inventor that will allow me to consistently and directly create such components?

Thanks,

Zach

Message 4 of 8
Mario428

@zachsweeney wrote:

Thanks so much for your help.

Is there some direct process in Inventor that will allow me to consistently and directly create such components?

Thanks,

Zach

Yes there is, use a core shape.

Create a solid block that is the shape of the inside of the form you wish to create, funnel, tank etc.

Build the panels on that and make them adaptive to the block used for shape. Add flanges etc in a manner to make them overlap so they can be riveted, welded or bolted.

This is the only way adaptivity in Inventor works reasonably well in my experience. I have seen the core shape go thru major changes and the adaptive panels change to match.

Once the first is done to your satisfaction a copy design will allow you to make a lot of variations on that easily

Message 5 of 8
zachsweeney
in reply to: Mario428

OK, I see where you are going but I need a little more help with the mechanics.

To make the adaptive panels, I assume that I make a 2D sketch on the corresponding faces of the solid. Then do I extrude the sketch by the thickness of my sheet metal, or do I change it to sheet metal part and use the face command?

How do I separate the 4 funnel sides into 4 separate parts from the one combined solid body with panels on it?

At what point do I convert this part to a sheet metal part?

Thanks for your help,

Zach
Message 6 of 8
Mario428

@zachsweeney wrote:
OK, I see where you are going but I need a little more help with the mechanics.

To make the adaptive panels, I assume that I make a 2D sketch on the corresponding faces of the solid. Then do I extrude the sketch by the thickness of my sheet metal, or do I change it to sheet metal part and use the face command?

How do I separate the 4 funnel sides into 4 separate parts from the one combined solid body with panels on it?

At what point do I convert this part to a sheet metal part?

Thanks for your help,

Zach

Yes the parts are made using the faces of the solid core.

Always work in sheet metal

"NEVER CONVERT!!!!!!!"

Am seriously busy but may get a chance over the weekend to do a test assembly, cannot open your parts, my Inventor throws an error.

Message 7 of 8
zachsweeney
in reply to: Mario428

That's OK. I'm making some progress here. I was trying to do this all in a parts file. I placed the block in an assembly file and now I'm easily able to create the panels. Still have a little trouble with the flanges. So I may need another pointer on that. I'll get back with you if I do. If it goes well, I'll KUDOS you out.
Message 8 of 8
Mario428

@zachsweeney wrote:
That's OK. I'm making some progress here. I was trying to do this all in a parts file. I placed the block in an assembly file and now I'm easily able to create the panels. Still have a little trouble with the flanges. So I may need another pointer on that. I'll get back with you if I do. If it goes well, I'll KUDOS you out.

Glad to hear you are making progress. Should have mentioned that it needs to be in an assembly file from the start.

Playing with the flange parameters may get you there.

One more hint so to speak. While it is possible to get Inventor to design sheet metal parts that fit exactly the exact fit rarely happens in the real world. Tolerances on cutting and bending can get you and a little extra room is not a bad thing.

Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report