Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a simple mold in Inventor 2013

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
joel274
3437 Views, 18 Replies

How to create a simple mold in Inventor 2013

Hello,

I am creating a Carbon Fiber glider. I have drawn the entire file and assembled it in autodesk inventor. How can I take each individual part and create a mold that I can CNC out? I just need a mold CAD file and then can run it through mastercam to get the G&M Code. 

Thank you for your time, 

Joel 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: joel274

www.widom-assoc.com/AU-MA15-1L.pdf

or http://autodesk.cadgeekspeak.com/2008/07/using-derived-component-for-mold-design-with-inventor/

or use Inventor tooling if you have it and want to design the WHOLE mold..not just cavities,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 19
JDMather

Sketch1 is not constrained not dimensioned yet has some perfect geometry.

How did you create this without dimensions?

Did you delete the dimensions?

Why?

Did you intend for this to be tangent?

Not tangent.png

Sketch4 is not constrained.

Sketch7 is sick (pink geometry).

Extrusion 6 is not needed.
Extrusion 8 is not needed.

I recommend you read this

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

while you are reading I will try to work up a possible solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

As I go through this to fix it up some of the (missing) dimensions do not make sense to me and there are multiple lines where I would expect only one line (see red).

multiple lines.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
joel274

My team has been devolping work arounds throughout the morning. So far we have converted files over to RHINO 3D to raise the axis and through that file into mastercam. The native mold creation application for Inventor suite is to complex for the simple layup mold we need. 

As for dimensions on my drawings, I never leave dimensions on a part. I'll use an .idw drawing for that. 

I understand this drawing is strange and has lines that are segmented. All dimensions were calculated and tested in a 3D print out that we ran through our wind tunnel. The curves are set for maximum aerodynamic efficency. The real problem is that we cannot make these simple molds.

Thank you for the link to the Autodesk 2005 worksheet. It is helpful and I will run through it this afternoon and let you know. 

Thank you all for your continous help. I will keep you updated. 

-Joel 

Message 6 of 19
JDMather

Here is my solution.

I have absolutely, positively no clue why someone would remove sketch dimensions. 
I had a hard time trying to figure out your design intent as some of your missing dimensions made no logical sense.

I recommend that you stop this practice of deleting dimensions.

EESignature

Message 7 of 19
joel274

What kind of part are you making that would require constant dimension readouts?

On every one of my projects I have always created a seperate .idw file with all dimensions for our technical workers to use. 

Dimensions in your drawing are just messy and minor league. 

Still working on making these molds. We're getting closer though!

Message 8 of 19
graemev

@joel274 wrote:

What kind of part are you making that would require constant dimension readouts?

On every one of my projects I have always created a seperate .idw file with all dimensions for our technical workers to use. 

Dimensions in your drawing are just messy and minor league. 

It would appear that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the software.  Inventor is a parametric modelling program.  Dimensions and constraints in the model sketches define the geometry of the part itself.  The drawing that represents the model is dimensioned in such a way as to convey the design intent to the customer and manufacturer.  These are not one and the same.  An unconstrained and undimensioned model cannot be easily updated as the design is revised.  The dimensions on the drawing will automatically update as the model is changed - a master/slave relationship.  To remove constraints and dimensions from the sketches is to ignore the functionality of the software.  It is akin to driving one's car by adjusting the idle stop screw on the carburetor and never changing gear - you could, but why would you?

Message 9 of 19
joel274

Inventor is my favorite CAD program. I understand and appreciate the program. I have used it for 5 years. I do not understand why someone would leave those dimensions after drawing the sketch and extruding, revolving, etc.
Message 10 of 19
JDMather

Apparently your instructor didn't know how to properly use the software. 

You have missed the whole purpose of parametric modeling.

You are referring to models as "drawings".

The missing dimensions if added don't make logical sense.

In any case - two clicks

2 clicks.png

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
joel274

I'm self taught. Their are no problems with this drawing. I'm simply trying to make a caul plate mold to make a carbon fiber glider.
Message 12 of 19
graemev

@joel274 wrote:
I'm self taught. Their are no problems with this drawing. I'm simply trying to make a caul plate mold to make a carbon fiber glider.

Actually, there are many problems with this model, not the least of which is that it is not parametric.  Yes, it is "functional".  No, it is not correct.

I HIGHLY recommend for you to do the tutorials.  Again, if you've done them once already.

Message 13 of 19
joel274

I know how to change visibility. I don't have an instructor. I'm simply trying to make a mold for this part and several others attached is a screen shot of the entire assembly.

I just need to know how to make a caul plate mold so I can layup carbon fiber in it after cutting it out on a 3 axis CNC router.
Message 14 of 19
JDMather

@joel274 wrote:
I just need to know how to make a caul plate mold so I can layup ....

You didn't comment on the previous file I attached here.

What about this one - is it closer to what you are after?

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
joel274

That mold is what I am looking for,I'm looking at the browser to see how you made the mold. ...unfortunatly I also need to make one that indents into the mold itself so I can caul plate the carbon fiber.

Thank you for your help!

Message 16 of 19
JDMather

@joel274 wrote:

. ...unfortunatly I also need to make one that indents into the mold itself so I can caul plate the carbon fiber.

Did you look at the first example I posted?

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
joel274

Thank you. I can learn how to make these molds based off of the browser bar.

Thank you again

Message 18 of 19
JDMather

There was no real reason to Move Bodies, next step I would go to the Manage tab and Make Components.

The second file was created with student release for illustration of a technique so you will, of course, have to recreate my example.

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
JamesLovell

No offence intended but this is a great read for a monday morning 🙂

Why the hell would anyone delete sketch dimensions? 😄

How have you used inventor for 5 years doing this!!! i'm totally amazed! 😮

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums