Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert ipt files to "ai" or "cdr"

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
herculanolouro
6492 Views, 7 Replies

How to convert ipt files to "ai" or "cdr"

Hi,

I had made several "stickers" with some draws and colors with Autodesk Inventor, now i have a problem... my supplier can't open dwg files (2D)...how can I convert a ipt file to AI or CDR files? (these are the extensions for the programs that they work...)

Best Regards

Herculano Louro

Portugal

Autodesk Inventor PRO 2017 - Win10 x64 - 16Gb - i7-4700HQ - GT750
Herculano Louro
Portugal
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You vendor needs vector files created in vector software (Adobe Illustrator = .AI, Corel Draw = CDR, etc). You are not going to be able to generate an art file for them to use from Inventor. We use Illustrator for our nameplate and label design, so I'm familiar with that workflow and what print companies need. You can also send them a PDF but it needs to be exported from a vector file.

The nice thing about Illustrator is that I can export my vector label as a DWG, so if I need to make a model, sharing that geometry is easy.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 3 of 8

Hi Kenny,

I call also a friend expert on solidworks... he joke with me, ipt to AI with Solidworks is simple as "File"+ "Save as...".
I have to carry this files to him to save as AI.

Thank's for the quick answer
Best Regards
Herculano
Herculano Louro
Portugal
Message 4 of 8
rdyson
in reply to: herculanolouro

Assuming that you didn't import raster graphics into Inventor, then exporting as pdf will create a vector file that Illustrator can import. If you did use raster graphics, the pdf may or may not import into Illustrator with those intact.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 8
herculanolouro
in reply to: rdyson

One of the stickers is simple as this one I attach... I will try as suggest with pdf

Best Regards

Herculano

Herculano Louro
Portugal
Message 6 of 8
CAG_DRAFT

export to pdf, open pdf with inkscape, save as .svg

inventors built-in export to pdf function works fine with this workflow until you are dealing with heaps of curves that you need very accurate.

Message 7 of 8

Hiya Herculano,

Your colours might not convert into Illustrator or coreldraw. It's possible the PDF soultion will work fine and you'll need no more help.

However, if you have the need, you could try the following, assuming your text has been created as extrusions.

1. Start a new blank idw, create base view of the sticker.

2. SaveAs Autocad dwg or dxf

3. Open with Autocad. Convert all lines to polylines.ensuring all text outlines are individual characters.

4. Export "only the selected entities" to dxf version 12. This should illiminate extra data not required byAI or Corel.

This dxf should be easily imported into Coreldraw or Illustrator.

The downside is you will only get outlines and will require post editing to fill the fonts and backgrounds with colour.

In this way the font shape should be retained.

Good luck

Andy

Message 8 of 8
sam_m

If you have the artwork in a dwg (as suggested in OP) then open this in AutoCAD.

use "WMFOUT" command to create a wmf file

This is a vector file which CorelDraw will easily open - far easier than trying to get it to import the dwg directly.  You could send the wmf directly to the artwork people (as they will be able to use it), but it will not have any dimensions, so you will have to explain how large you want this to be scaled.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report