Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to align a two parts so it can be 3d printed.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Dynamitetalks
723 Views, 10 Replies

How to align a two parts so it can be 3d printed.

hi Im trying to align these two parts. they need to have the surface which is biggest as the bottom and be aligned next to each other with a 5 - 10 mm distrance so I can 3d print them in one go, I have no idea on how to do this, so I hope someone understands what im trying to do, and will give advice. 

Thanks 

Best regards. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Dynamitetalks

Align in what? Inventor?

What type of files?

Simply constrain them. Use origin planes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11
Dynamitetalks
in reply to: mcgyvr

mchyvr thanks for your quick reply!

yes Inventor. 

Standard Part file and once it aligned I'll export it as a STL file. 

hmm can I do that, when im not in assembly mode? The two parts is separated by using the move feature...

Message 4 of 11
blair

I would try placing them in a assembly file if you can't orient/align/nest them using the software for the 3D printer.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
Dynamitetalks
in reply to: blair

blair, It can't be done in repetier(3d software) because of the way the parts was when I exported them as a STL file. but I'll try aligning them in assembly mode, thank you. 

Message 6 of 11
blair

I thought you could arrange the models on the "Virtual Printer Plate". If not then try the IAM file

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 11

Hi! In the Inventor part file, are the two objects two separate bodies (Solid Body folder -> 2)? If yes, you can use Move Body command to reposition the bodies. If you can post the ipt file here or send it to me, I will take a look and see how to reposition them.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11

Hi Johnsonshiue, Thank you I appreciate it!, I have tried to use the move body feature and was able to align them, but not on the same side, one of them has to be rotated 180degrees so both of the biggest surfaces is on the plane. 

I have uploaded the file, if you know how to flip it around, I would be thankful and would also like to know how you did it, so I just can do it next time. 

Message 9 of 11

Hi Dynamitetalks,

You can use the Rotate option of the Move Bodies tool as shown here:

Related link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/change-origin-of-imported-model.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11

Curtis_Waguesspack 

Thank you I managed to do it, I unfolded origins and choosed y-axis as the rotation axis. 

Now it works! Thank you to all of your 🙂

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

Before you print this - I found a couple of problems.

Sketch 2 is missing a dimension.

If I dimension the feature - I doubt it is what you intended.

Sketch 2 Dimension.PNG

and the seed pentagon for you pattern is not oriented horizontal or vertical, resulting in none of your pentagons oriented towards the center of the part.  Is this what you really want?

Pentagon Orientation.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report