Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Open inventor frame assembly in Solidworks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zotelo
681 Views, 4 Replies

How to Open inventor frame assembly in Solidworks

Hello Everyone, I am having trouble opening an assembly I made on inventor in solidworks. 

First I drew a frame using just lines and saved it as frame.ipt 

then I opened a new assembly and placed the frame.ipt into the assembly

Once that was done I was able to add a frame to follow the path of the lines by clicking "insert frame" 

This assembly was called frame.iam 

When I try opening on Solidworks it does not work. I clicked body and features and either way it did not work. Any help please? 

I have transferred assembly to solidworks before but I think I am having trouble with this one since I made a frame using  inventor tools instead of just making every single part myself and then constraining it together in an assembly. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: zotelo

Generally you can open a version older of the competitors software, not the same year or a newer year;

1.) IV2013 will open SW2012 and older

2.) IV2012 win not open SW2013 or SW2012

The only way, would be to export your IV files to a neutral format: STL, STP or IGES, then import into SW

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
ampster401
in reply to: blair

not sure but I think the OP is doing the opposite...attempting to open Inventor assy file/s in SW.

I don't know what SW is capable of, but suspect you need to first save your Inventor assy as a step file, then open the step file in SW.

Message 4 of 5
blair

I was just explaining the software version factor. You need to have at least a year newer version than what you are trying to open of the competitors version.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

What version of SW are you running and what version of Inventor are you trying to open it up in?

Solidworks will open up Inventor files directly as well as Inventor can open up SW files directly.

But like it has been mentioned the versions have to be compatible.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report