Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
JimStrenk
Message 1 of 3 (843 Views)

How to Crimp or Crush conduit, pipe or tube?

843 Views, 2 Replies
11-03-2011 02:01 PM

I'm contemplating creating a put-together and take-apart frame using conduit, or pipe or tube.  After specifying member length, I wish to crimp or crush each member a specific length, fillet the member ends so that they are completely round, and then places holes that are concentric to the filleted ends or other locations within the "flat" area of the conduit, or pipe or tube.

How do I model such members to follow the specifications above?

How would I crimp members at locations other than the ends?

I'll be using Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 Ultimate.

Any tips, suggestions or errata would be most welcomed!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013 & 2014

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
Illinois: Where we send more Govenors to prison, than on to retirement!
Product Support
dave.anderson
Message 2 of 3 (793 Views)

Re: How to Crimp or Crush conduit, pipe or tube?

12-05-2011 06:54 AM in reply to: JimStrenk

I suspect you are looking to keep the geometry in place and overlap the crimped ends over a crossing pipe, using the hole to fasten them together.

Since Inventor cannot model material deformation, you'll needed to represent this type of geometry by modeling it. You can add it to the frame or remove it from the frame.

Unfortunately, what you are looking for is not part of native Frame Generator. The frame member placement is all based off of a centerline. You can position the member on specific points relative to the entire centerline but could not start in the middle then end as tangent like you'd need.

You could make a skeleton and sweep geometry as needed, and then create and use an iFeature to represent the crimped ends.

Dave Anderson
Premium Support Analyst – DLS Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

If I have answered your question, please "Accept Solution" so others may benefit as well.
*Pro
sbixler
Message 3 of 3 (787 Views)

Re: How to Crimp or Crush conduit, pipe or tube?

12-05-2011 08:00 AM in reply to: JimStrenk

Try searching the forum-- JD Mather has posted examples several times.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube