Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the origin in a 2d sketch determined?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
donovandigital
1941 Views, 21 Replies

How is the origin in a 2d sketch determined?

It seems no matter how much I futz around with planes, axes, and work points, ssoner or later I will make a 2d drawing and find that the origin (which is what I am assuming the intersection of the gray lines are) is not where I need it to be. How does Inventor decide where to put it? Can I change it manually from within the sketch somehow? I realize I can move the UCS but of course that will affect everything else, right?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
ksanger
in reply to: JDMather

It would help if Inventor did not change the axis between sketches within the same part.  I put down a circle and an intersecting rectangle.  When I change the size of the circle the rectangle rotated the axis.  Now I can't align the part to the view, its no longer in my XYZ frame of "mind".  Plus the additional sketches that I want to do are all rotated from the original.  What a pain.  In the you know what.  Also a big waste of my time.  I must be using the wrong tools.

Or I don't know what I've done wrong. 

Tags (3)
Message 22 of 22
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ksanger

Hi! I think the behaviors have been captured in the discussion here. I don't need to reiterate. We are aware of the behavior and negative feedback. We are investigating how to improve it. In the meantime, you can right-click on the sketch -> Edit Sketch Coordinate and realign the X and Y direction.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report