Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (392 Views)

How do you prep CNC cut files?

392 Views, 6 Replies
11-27-2013 09:47 AM
It's not a question per se, it's more of a general method collective.

When I started prepping CNC files, it seemed like an arduous task. I focus around woodwork and inventor focuses around metal so sheet metal exports to 2D flat files but parts don't. After various methods I decided to make my own method. This is what I do-

I set up various sheet formats as full scale 1:1 stock and sheet sizes
I add the sheet size or material stock size that I need
I made a vba routine to pop up a form and browse to the part. The routine then inserts the part at scale 1:1 on its largest face. Once the part is positioned, the pop up returns for the next part. ( the file path remains to prevent browsing every time )
When I'm done and I'm happy with everything, I run another vba routine to export all sheets as autocad drawings.

For me, this is quick and painless with little effort. I have sketch symbols for grain directions etc and materials are preset in the iproperties during modeling.

I was curious to other peoples methods :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Nigel
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 7 (377 Views)

Re: How do you prep CNC cut files?

11-27-2013 10:51 AM in reply to: nmjshaw150

I don't have info/comments for your process but just wanted to make sure you are aware of this.. Its virtually brand new to inventor and "free" and great for regular CNC parts.. ..Not sure if your woodworking is more than just cut to length jobs or not..

http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Distinguished Contributor
Message 3 of 7 (375 Views)

11-27-2013 10:57 AM in reply to: mcgyvr
Hi

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of that product and it looks very interesting. Most companies I work for use licom and pull in drawings as a flat 2D cad drawing. They also require a paper version of the CNC nested sheet for job bags.

I'll download and take a look though

Thanks

Nigel
Valued Mentor
BLHDrafting
Message 4 of 7 (346 Views)

11-27-2013 03:25 PM in reply to: nmjshaw150

This site might offer some info as it includes woodworking.

http://www.cadsetterout.com/tag/woodworking/

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blh.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2013 PDS Premium SP2 Update 3 (Build 200), Vault 2013 Workgroup Update 2 (Build 17.2.9.0)
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 5 of 7 (343 Views)

11-27-2013 03:35 PM in reply to: BLHDrafting
We use Radan software, just switching from MTC )/Thermadyne. Reads in Inventor files, producing tooling for either single part or multi-part nesting. Common line cutting and looks after crops for later cutting. It's not cheap!
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
*Expert Elite*
PaulMunford
Message 6 of 7 (312 Views)

11-28-2013 12:58 AM in reply to: nmjshaw150
Did you check out Scott Moyse's work on 'Design & Motion'?
http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/inventor-creating-cnc-cut-file-inventor-model...

Scott also has a class at AU you might be interested in... search for MA2274

The CAD Setter Out Blog @CadSetterOut

Inventor Surfacing | AutoCAD | CAD Standards

Please use the Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos! Kudos functions - Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
scottmoyse
Message 7 of 7 (282 Views)

11-28-2013 04:20 AM in reply to: nmjshaw150
Cheers for the referral paul! If you guys are coming to AU then please come along, we have a few cool work flows & some automation we've created. We'd be happy to share some of the code with the attendees. Failing that, you can always check out the class recording online once it's been uploaded.

It sounds like you've found yourself a great workflow Nogel! We ended up doing everything with Inventor assemblies straight into AlphaCAM in the end. We got fed up dealing with AutoCAD and cleaning up the output from the inventor drawings.

How do you handle part numbers & labels?
Cheers
Scott Moyse

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Cheers!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube