Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you pattern a stairway?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
CDM369
1680 Views, 4 Replies

How do you pattern a stairway?

I'm trying to layout a stairway and I'm not understanding how to do it. I've drawn my stair tread and now I wanted to repeat that tread 33 times on a 45 degree angle. I try to use pattern component and instead of giving me the option to select vertical and horizontal, it only allows me to select one or the other or end up with 1089 stair treads (33 horz. x 33 vert.) if I pick both. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: CDM369

What you need is some geometry to pick from that's at the right slope.
It could be in a line on a sketch or a work axis in one of your parts or
you could insert a piece at the appropriate angle then make it invisible.

Richard

cdm369 wrote:

> I'm trying to layout a stairway and I'm not understanding how to do it. I've drawn my stair tread and now I wanted to repeat that tread 33 times on a 45 degree angle. I try to use pattern component and instead of giving me the option to select vertical and horizontal, it only allows me to select one or the other or end up with 1089 stair treads (33 horz. x 33 vert.) if I pick both. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
Message 3 of 5
CDM369

Okay. I got a little ahead of myself. I was trying to create the array pattern without the reference of the stair runner, which gives me the correct angle.

Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
pdnm1

CDM,

I'm in the same situation today, but I've tried the suggested solution and it does not work (unless I'm missing something myself).

Here's my attempts and results:

I have a staircase (actually I'm attempting to make a iAssembly so as to be able to create multiple stairscases) that's at a 45 degree. The OSHA standards state the Rise/Run for the Tread Plates to be 8.75" x 8.75" respectively. Note, other angles have differing Rise/Run amounts (@40 degrees, Rise/Run is: 8.0" x 9.5").

So I have the 45 degree stringers set up and the first Tread in place, I select Pattern and select the top edge of the Stringer thus putting the pattern in line with the 45 degree angle. At this point is the issue....what value do you put in for the spacing?

It can't be the Rise, nor can it be the Run....the stairs will not pattern correctly spaced according to the OSHA amounts.

And in my case this is more of a factor on different angled stringers.

If anyone can guide me on how to set up this iAssembly Staircase I'd be extremely greatful.

Message 5 of 5
Martin_Goodland
in reply to: pdnm1

Hi

This will use the rise and run to work out the hypotenuse length for the pattern. 

sqrt(rise^2+going^2)

Edit : Regarding making it work for the various angles. You need to have a few linked parameters set up.

floor_to_floor

number_of_risers

going

riser - this should be floor_to_floor / number_of_risers

stair_angle - this should be atan(riser/going)

You can then key in the floor height required and the number of risers and Inventor will work out the rest. This can then be used to set all the handrail geometry etc. And there will be no constrain issues due to rounding that can be caused if you don't let inventor calculate the exact riser and angle.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report