Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reset the view identifier number in the idw?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
karthur1
9186 Views, 23 Replies

How do I reset the view identifier number in the idw?

When I place a view in my idw, it is not "view1".

Is there a way to reset my file so that it will be?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
yuejuan.dong
in reply to: karthur1

hi,

Which version of your inventor? IV 2008 or IV2009?

Thanks,
Sally
Message 3 of 24
karthur1

I was working inside my template. When I start a new idw using that template, the first view is Base View 1. Thanks, but I think I got it now.

AIS2009
Message 4 of 24
yuejuan.dong

Glad to hear you got it. In IV 2009, you also can reset the view label to what you want here:
Format -> Style and Standard Editor> Defaults Standard-> view preferences tab
Message 5 of 24
jamiebryson

Hi

Sorry, Im struggling to reset the detail/section view number as well.. I'm using 2011. I often copy an .idw, delete the views, construct a new view and save the file as a new file. However, when I go to produce details and sections, the view number continues from the original file... so the first detail I produce comes up as view D say....

..How would I go about changing it back so the first detail appears as A?

(without editing the text to a custom entry?)

Thanks a lot

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: jamiebryson

I was struggling with this earlier today and finally came up with a solution. Just right-click on "Edit View" and change the "View identifier" (its on the bottom right on Inventor 2012). As a quicker way of doing it, you can also click on the item (in the browser) twice but slower than a normal double-click and you will be allowed to rename the item.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can somebody answer the recent two questions, how to reset the default view number in drawing editor (Inv 2011, 2012, 2013)?

Or there is no way to do it?

Of course I start the drawing with my template. When I add the first view, its number is 80, not 1 as I except. It's anoying to change the number each time manually.

Message 8 of 24
pcrawley
in reply to: Anonymous

There is this on the App Exchange. http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3acpsvie...

Which does suggest that someone has had a very good look and can't find an easy solution.

At $5, it pays for itself the first time you have to relabel all the views in your drawing.

Peter
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

Ok, thakns. I see nobody in Autodesk can handle it.

The relabeler? That's ridiculus. Buing an app that cleans a sh..t made by autodesk? Thanks. I would rather the autodesk not sh..ting. I will never use it. However thank you.

@jdavis417

Plaese, do what you like and think it's corerct. Force your company to spend thousands dolars for buying a new releases of the same software with different number in its name, but with all the (KNOWN) bugs kept not fixed. Then drink your coffe and wait for the next release. Maybe at next year... who knows...
Unfortunatelly, they left it for the next spring once again.  Just adapt to the fact that Autodesk developers just pee on you. And do your sh..t in the most correct way.

Thanks for nothing,

Michal

Message 10 of 24
kimK7B54
in reply to: yuejuan.dong

This does not answer the question.  I'm in a drawing and the views are coming in as "VIEW BJ-BJ".

I want to reset the index so it starts at "VIEW A-A".

Inventor needs to allow this to be reset by the user.  This has been a know issue for over a decade.

Another index that needs to be reset is the dimensions; I have a template and the dimensions start out as d3275 instead of d1. 

@yuejuan.dong wrote:
Glad to hear you got it. In IV 2009, you also can reset the view label to what you want here:
Format -> Style and Standard Editor> Defaults Standard-> view preferences tab

View Label.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 11 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: kimK7B54

Been talked about for years...

Here is an idea about it basically (this one is specifically about sketch1 but should cover all of these "resettable" values)..

As you can see with only 41 votes (at the time of this post) is not something Autodesk feels is something that will provide enough "bang for the buck"..

So it hasn't gotten addressed..

Show your support here and include comments if you want about making sure this includes view identifiers and whatever else you can't current reset easily.. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/feature-sketch-numbers-reset-ability/idi-p/4378343

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 24
mohamedNAFGD

It has been 15 years and autodesk hasn't fixed this issue?

Message 13 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mohamedNAFGD

Hi! The issue here is that the template file was not pristine. There were views and sheets created in the file and then deleted later. As a result, the index has been incremented already.

Maybe you want to use Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard to copy the borders, title blocks, sketch symbols and styles  from the old template to a new template. Then use the new template from now on.

Would it work for you?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 24

Hi, 
With all due respect, that's not the issue - the problem isn't that the index has already incremented, it's that there's no way for a user to set or reset the index. If I'm creating a drawing, and decide I should lay out the views a different way so I erase several or all of those views, I will have to edit the view label of every single view I create thereafter. 

That's the issue - the index you can't reset.

Message 15 of 24

Hi! Here is an iLogic solution provided by @Curtis_Waguespack. Please take a look.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/reset-view-lables/td-p/10468556

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 24
michealweather
in reply to: pcrawley

This app is brillant, excatly what I was looking for.

Message 17 of 24
will.astill
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue - This tool seems to re-name the views, rather than fixing the fundamental problem, which is that the view counter isn't starting at 1 (or A or whatever).

To illustrate why this is a problem:

I've just spent a week re-creating my company drawing template and adding in some sheet formats with various views.

Now, every single time anyone creates a section view using the template, it is created as section F-F and needs manual intervention to set it at A-A.

If they then re-name the view to A-A and create a further section view, it is labelled as G-G, regardless of the fact that the lettering has been reset to A-A.

This means that the new template is a massive pain and I'm going to have to spend more time copying everything out into a fresh template file with no views in it.

It feels more like this is a bug in the user interface to me, rather than something users should get used to.

If I delete section B-B on my drawing, the next section I add should be automatically B-B, not C-C.

Even if it's a minor bug that's low down on the priority list for fixing, it should be on a list somewhere.

Message 18 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: will.astill
Message 19 of 24
will.astill
in reply to: johnsonshiue

No problem. I voted for it on the link below so hopefully it will get enough votes eventually to get fixed.

(I didn't like the suggestion made in the link above, I still want the view numbers to increment, just filling in the gaps along the way.)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/feature-sketch-numbers-reset-ability/idi-p/437834

Message 20 of 24

Did you try the app? http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3acpsvie...

This worked for me - A very handy tool. 

If your views are all mixed up at the start, if you delete a section B-B, then the section will be C-C and not B-B. The app will auto-reset to the correct one.

The downside is that we must pay for the app; Autodesk should include this in the software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report