Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make a casing around a complex object?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
connor.conatser.417
849 Views, 8 Replies

How can I make a casing around a complex object?

Hello all, I've never used the forums for autodesk before, so bear with my new-ness.

I need to find a way to make a really small casing (1/8' perferably) of this object, and by casing I mean basically turn this object inside out and create a 1/8 inch wall around it so I can fill it in with silicone; the casing can be a flat wall on a part of an object if it runs into errors and cannot be form fitted, however it'd be more difficult to break apart.

If this cannot work and it isn't physically possible to render this object into a casing, I could settle for 2 rectangular halfs with the object embedded into the center (I also need to make a spout for my material to pour into the casing eventually). The only problem with this is when I fill in the mould with my liquid silicone caulk, it'd be difficult to take the halves apart without causing damage to the molded object. This is the main reason I prefer the fitted casing if possible, if the outer wall was about 1/8' thick, it wouldn't pose too difficult to break it into pieces. 

The printed material is ABS plastic.

The object I wish to mould is supposed to be a flexible silicone material. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

So you want to create 2 mold halves that would create the part as shown in your ipt file?

Like this http://www.widom-assoc.com/derived_parts2.pdf ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9

That's one of the solutions I'm aiming for, and actually I found that pdf about an hour ago. However, after playing with the instructions for a bit I found that it wouldn't let me constrain the main object the right way. It may be my inexperience with inventor, but constraining seemed to somewhat repel the objects whenever I attempted.
Message 4 of 9

Something like this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9

Yes! Thank you so much, this fixed everything.
Message 6 of 9

@connor.conatser.417 wrote:
...this fixed everything.

Are you sure?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 9

Yes sir, the rest of the modifications I need to make I can manage. I also did research on molding and found out an easy solution to the mold sticking, if it does.

The only thing left really is how I should hold the mold together when I put in the caulk mixture. Might make holes for screws on the sides maybe.
Message 8 of 9

I thought you might be asking questions about pushing out multi-body solids to individual parts and assembly (Manage>Make Components).

Message 9 of 9

Nahh nothing that complex, the other thing I was shooting for and my initial motive was to make a sort of tight casing relatively small in width, that would not only mold the object, but make me able to break it apart.

The only reason I really wanted the casing was because I had some difficulties with the mold potentially sticking, but I found a solution I can add to the caulk to make it stick less.

While doing this may not have seemed to difficult of a task, it surpassed my knowledge of maneuvering inventor's tools and functions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report