Inventor General

Message 1 of 5 (328 Views)
Accepted Solution

How can I fold a round plate like in the drawing

328 Views, 4 Replies
11-11-2013 10:09 AM

Hi I have been trying to fold a round plate which has 10 milimeters thickness.Is there any way to fold this or unfold ? 

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 2 of 5 (307 Views)

Re: How can I fold a round plate like in the drawing

11-11-2013 11:05 AM in reply to: ozertekins
No, not without a third party program. Inventor can't deal with plastic deformation.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Valued Contributor
Message 3 of 5 (229 Views)

11-11-2013 08:59 PM in reply to: mrattray

Isn't the sheet metal environment modelling plastic deformation? (sort of?)

Can you mention a TPP that would be able to model the proposed part here?

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 4 of 5 (200 Views)

11-12-2013 04:44 AM in reply to: CAG_DRAFT
I suppose it is, technically. I think a better phrase may have been "plastic deformation in more than one direction".
There's an add-in available from SPI, and many other stand alone programs. I don't use any myself as most of my sheet metal work is standard press-brake and roll form fabrication.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 5 (160 Views)

11-12-2013 08:33 AM in reply to: ozertekins

A cheap and dirty way might be to model up a dummy unfolded part and simply place the two into different representations.  So that to "fold" or "unfold" you would simply switch representations.  In additions you can use some of the dimensions of the folded part to drive the dimensions of the unfolded part and lock in some parametrics.  Granted this does ignore most of the finer calculations of plastic deformations, but it should work for a visual representation.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube